02 October 2011

Review: You Against Me By: Jenny Downham

Title: You Against Me
Author: Jenny Downham
Publisher: David Fickling Books, 416 Pages (September 13th, 2011)
From: the Publisher & Amazon Vine, Thank You!

Synopsis: If someone hurts your sister and you're any kind of man, you seek revenge, right? If your brother's been accused of a terrible crime and you're the main witness, then you banish all doubt and defend him. Isn't that what families do? When Mikey's sister claims a boy assaulted her at a party, his world of work and girls begins to fall apart. When Ellie's brother is charged with the crime, but says he didn't do it, her world of revision, exams and fitting in at a new school begins to unravel. When Mikey and Ellie meet, two worlds collide. Brave and unflinching, this is a novel of extraordinary skillfulness and almost unbearable tension. It's a book about loyalty and the choices that come with it. But above all it's a book about love - for one's family and for another.

Review: 5 Stars - Jenny Downham’s You Against Me is one of those books that I couldn’t read fast enough and didn’t want to end. With characters facing many choices and two sides to each story, Downham has written a realistic gripping title.

When two families are dealing with an accusation of a terrible crime, it’s easy to say that everyone who loves the victim and the accused deals with the shockwaves. Mikey’s younger sister had something horrible happen to her and it’s Mikey’s job to take care of his sister and mom. Ellie’s older brother is accused of the terrible crime and is his only witness to just what happened that night.

Ellie and Mikey come from two families who couldn’t be more different from one another. Ellie is quiet, without many friends, lives in a big house in the good side of town. She’s a good girl who studies and doesn’t do much else. Mikey lives in a small apartment in a housing estate in not the best area. They don’t have much money but Mikey works in a kitchen with dreams of one day becoming a chef. And the differences between the two don’t end there, but you get the idea.

When Mikey goes to settle the score and retaliate in the name of his sister, he didn’t intend to meet Ellie.

I loved the contrast between the two characters and the story was told from both sides. It might not be written in dual perspectives, but it felt like it was. Downham did an amazing job making you feel what each of the main characters were feeling, as well as the side characters that the main plot was actually about. I found reading from an outsider’s point of view of a horrible crime interesting and relatable from a sibling’s point of view.

It’s a great book that leaves you questioning how you might feel or what you would do if you were in both Ellie & Mikey’s shoes.

All in all, I loved this book. This is defiantly one of the best books I’ve read so far this year and I will without a doubt give this one a reread. I would love to see what happens next in both Ellie and Mikey’s lives and could totally see a continuation of the story. I mean seriously, I’d love to see what happens to everyone!

Anyone looking for an emotionally driven story with characters that you’ll be ready for more of once you turn that last page, then this book is just the book you’re looking for! So, go pick it up, or order it today!

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

7 comments:

  1. Great review! I think that I will have to add this one to my TBR list. I haven't heard of it before and it sounds like you really enjoyed it.

    Amanda
    hippiesbeautyandbooksohmy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Great review! This book is a little out of my normal reading, but it sounds fantastic! I'm adding it to my wishlist thanks to you ;)

    efender1(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I dont know if I would normally pick this up. But it sounds like one not to miss. Thanks for sharing!

    bacchus76 at myself dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! Another for the to buy and read pile! Tooooooo many books and sooooooooo little time
    veltara(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I probably wouldn't have picked it up if I just saw it on the shelf, but now it is on my to-read list! :)

    liedermadchen(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary DeBorde
    zenrei57 (at) hotmail dot com

    Excellent review! This one probably would have escaped my notice otherwise ... and I love the books with multiple perspectives! :D

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love