06 October 2011

Haunted Halloween 2011: Guest Post - K.A. Tucker



The Night the Bear Attacked the Cottage

My scariest experience... true story.  I was about thirteen years old and visiting my family’s cottage for the Canadian long weekend in May.  Our cottage is up in the boons - three hours north of Toronto and thirty minutes from the nearest town. True wilderness  - the kind of wilderness where, if you put a fresh pie on your windowsill in the summer, you shouldn’t be surprised to find a black bear’s nose in it before long.

One night while my cousin and I were asleep in the bunk room – the ‘kid room’ – I awoke to a loud, repetitive thumping on the deck, directly outside our open window. As I lay in the pitch dark, listening to this menacing pounding, I decided it could only be one thing.  A black bear.  There were plenty of stories of black bears breaking into cottages, tearing apart kitchen cupboards and smearing honey all over the place.  Okay – maybe only one story, but one was enough. Now, it was happening to us.  A black bear was breaking in.

Why hadn’t my dad woken up yet? For that matter, why hadn’t my cousin, who was lying in the bed below me?  She couldn’t possibly sleep through this! Terror had taken over at this point and I could not form one word. Not a peep, so terrified that the bear would hear me.  Impulsively, I leaned over and grabbed the first thing I found – a cosmetic bag - off the shelf. I tossed it where I knew my cousin’s bed was, thinking I’d wake her up that way.

Little did I know, she was already wide awake, listening to this dreadful thumping outside our window, frightened to make a sound and also wondering if I was awake. So, something   landing on her in the pitch black darkness in this situation made matters worse. She screamed, then I screamed because she screamed, and then she screamed because she heard me scream. It didn’t wake my dad up but it quieted the bear for a moment.  Just a moment though.

For the next hour, the two of us communicated in panicked whispers while the bear continued pounding on what we assumed was the door. Where else would a bear break in, but a door? My overactive imagination had me visualizing the bear storming into the cottage to eat us alive. My practicality told me that it would likely get my cousin first since she was lower.  I didn’t remind her of that though...

Finally, when we were sure the bear would break through the door at any moment, a light flicked on in the family room. My dad’s heavy footsteps shook the cottage as he walked to the kitchen.  I heard the flick of the floodlight switch and the click of the door unlocking as he threw it open.

My cousin and I scampered to the window, sliding the curtain aside to peer out in time to see...
two fat raccoons jumping off the bird feeder.

We slept soundly for the rest of the night and my dad never forgot to push the feeder out of their reach again.  



Available NOW!

Synopsis: Evangeline has spent her teenage years in obscurity. Her foster parents have the emotional aptitude of robots and her classmates barely acknowledge her existence. About to turn eighteen and feeling like a social pariah, she is desperate to connect with someone. Anyone. 

When Evangeline meets Sofie after literally stumbling upon her café, she believes she’s found that connection. Willing to do anything to keep it, she accepts a job as Sofie’s assistant and drops everything to fly to Manhattan, where she is thrust into a luxurious world of Prada, diamonds, and limitless cash. 

With such generosity and kindness, it’s easy for Evangeline to dismiss certain oddities . . . like Sofie’s erratic and sometimes violent behavior, and the monstrous guard dogs. She’s even willing to dismiss her vivid dreams of mob-style murders, beautiful homeless people living in caves, and white-eyed demons that haunt her each night as figments of her imagination—especially when one of those figments is the gorgeous Caden. When she wakes up with bite marks on her neck, the fairy tale quickly turns into a nightmare. She slowly unravels the mystery surrounding Sofie and friends, and the reality of the bites and the “dreams.” What she discovers is far more mysterious and terrible than anything she could have imagined. 

In a world where everyone has motive to lie for personal gain, Evangeline must decide which deception is least likely to get her killed.

Order Online:

Amazon | Amazon eBook is FREE!Barnes and Noble | Barnes and Noble eBook is FREE!
*the free eBooks are for a LIMITED TIME only!

Find Kathleen Online:




REMINDER: *If you are interested in the COMMENT CONTEST, remember to include your email address with your comment for an extra entry.

Please ready full entry rules >>>HERE<<<


Kathleen, Thanks so much for taking the time to write up your true scary story - I think I would have been totally terrified right along with you!

*I am not compensated at all for any of the links within this page.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

28 comments:

  1. Ha! Oh man, that would have been so scary, though. I think sometimes the worst thing is not knowing. You hear a sound and picture all the worst possible things instead of the best or at least the least scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah our imaginations can really get us carried away!! I've freaked out over the littlest sounds when I've been home alone!

    jessica(DOT)agreatread(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was great! I was sure that your dad was going to find an actual bear.

    candicerjames [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story! My imagination gets out of control when I'm by myself.

    Vivien
    deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh God. We really have awesome imagination! I grabbed whatever when I heard a slight sound!

    lilyflower999 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh God. We really have awesome imagination! I grabbed whatever when I heard a slight sound!

    lilyflower999 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahahaha! That's awesome. I would have thought it was a bear too. (Or possibly a monster 'cause that was always my first thought was a kid. There's a monster out there that wants to eat me...or worse, tickle me. I was a "disturbed" child.)

    rachel.danae226@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahha mistaking racoons for bears too good.
    tlabunski **((gmail))**

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathleen! Every.Single.Time you tell a story you have my FULL attention! I was nearly at the seat of my chair wondering how the heck you were going to get rid of this dang bear! And why wasn't your dad waking up???

    That is the funniest story!.!.! I have a question, does that cabin/location happen to creep into your books?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great story!! I think like you, I would have imagined the worst rather then 2 raccoons. But I never lived where a bear could get to me really thank goodness.

    LadyVampire2u AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is definitely a scary experience! That happens a lot around here in the mountains. Usually the bears are trying to get some food, but I wouldn't want to come face to face with one!

    Amanda
    hippiesbeautyandbooksohmy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to babysit back when I was 11 and 12 and I can remember things like that happening and scaring the bejesus out of me! I guess all the reading I did even back then led to my very vivid imagination!!
    jwitt33 at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank goodness it wasn't a bear! I'd be screaming right along w/ the girls! But, I wouldn't be able to sleep the rest of the night ;)

    Thanks for the great post!

    efender1(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha! Totally did not see that coming. We used to have raccoons that got into our attic. So we'd hear this scittering noise all night. TOtally freaky!

    dragonzgoil at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my gosh! I was getting scared just reading about the almost bear attack. I would have been so scared!

    I am loving these scary experiences. I'm finding out that I am a wimp haha

    chelle2006 @ aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh scary!!! I am terrified of bears! I don't know what I would have done... I'm loving hearing all of these creepy stories; really gets you in the Halloween mood.
    chiri_chan29330@yahoo.com

    -Nichole

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my! That reminded me of my summer cabin incident with a bear in Quebec! Only our bear was a bear. SO SCARY!

    AmethystDaydreams at zoho dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's crazy how quickly our imaginations can take over. Great scary story!

    spyblue78(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. That was hilarious, I bet the two of you investigated strange sounds before getting worked up about them from then on! And yeah, raccoons make too much noise sometimes. They go after the cat food on the porch at night and sometimes the sounds they make are startling.

    melorabrock {at} gmail {dot} com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, my gosh! Haha! That would have been horrible!

    justforswag(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  21. gosh that was scary! i had such a clear picture of u guys there feeling helpless about a bear. Thank goodness they were only racoons. How did you dad sleep through most of it? Well the book seems like something I'd like to read for Halloween.
    Email: osnapitzAngiex3(AT)aol(DOT) com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hah! That was awesome. I would have been really squared and not been able to stop laughing when I saw what it really was.

    bacchus76 at myself dot com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness! I would have been terrified too! At least you weren't alone though lol it's always good to have a partner in crime even if she would have been the bears first victim lol.

    Thank you for the entry!

    -Brandi
    bgilvaja87(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow great story! Possums are my greatness nemesis. thanks for the post
    veltara(at)yahoo(dot)com
    Enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Raccoons can be scary. We have them all over the place where I live and it is the worst thing when they are hiding in the garage after dark and you go in to get something and it hisses at you and runs right past your leg. "shudders"

    liedermadchen(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mary DeBorde
    zenrei57 (at) hotmail dot com

    The worse we have around here are possums and even THEY can be scary about 2:00 in the morning lol

    Bears - oh my! I would have been scared, too lol

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes,..raccoons can be terrifying! Fun post:)

    bchild5 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would've been scared to death to wake up to such pounding. Not sure how relieved I'd be by raccoon though - I've seen too many youtube videos.

    Mare
    tommygirl828 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love