30 October 2011

Haunted Halloween 2011: Guest Post - Jason Letts


Scarier Than Monsters

This one keeps me up at night. Ever since a friend told me about this I can’t start thinking about it without freaking out, and it’s one of those things I feel like people need to know about just to understand what could actually happen to them.

About a decade ago, a guy and his high-school sweetheart ended up going to different colleges, and after being away from each other for a few weeks he spontaneously decided to get in the car and drive out to see her. It was going to be a great surprise, but it meant driving all night up in the mountains to her little college town.

He ripped a few CD’s, grabbed a Red Bull or two, and went out on his all-night road trip. At about 3am, he was having trouble keeping himself awake. There was still a long ways to go, but he pushed himself to get there. He was out on some back roads in the middle of nowhere when he turned a corner and saw something up ahead in the road. He hit the brakes and stared at the pair of bodies his headlights illuminated.

There were some swerving tire tracks, obviously some kind of hit-and-run. Now two bodies were sprawled across the road ahead of him. Gasping for breath and gripping his steering wheel, he tried to figure out what to do. This was before everybody had cell phones, and he hadn’t seen another car or a town in hours.

The temptation came over him to get out and check on them. He could drive them somewhere and get some help. But he decided he just wasn’t in a position to do anything. He couldn’t deal with this right now, and maybe he’d flag down the next truck he saw or something. Driving around the bodies was tricky, almost forcing him into some bushes by the side of the road. He took a good long look at the bodies as he passed by and then hit the brakes a dozen yards or so past. It would be wrong to just leave them there.

He scratched his chin as he prepared to get out when he glanced in the rearview mirror to find that the bodies in the road were sitting up.

The guy’s eyes widened when people started coming out of the bushes on both sides of the road. There must’ve been twenty or thirty of them, joining the two people who’d been lying dead until just moments ago. The driver didn’t waste a second. He slammed on the gas pedal and got the hell out of there as fast as his little Honda Civic could take him.

I don’t want to think about what those people would’ve done to that guy if he’d gotten out of the car. It’s hard not to wonder why they were all there, and how everybody must’ve been OK with snatching drivers off the road. To me, it gets at something even scarier than monsters: people in large groups.

Sort of like Shirley Jackson’s “The Lottery,” there’s something about groups of normally rational people engaging willfully in violent acts that gets under my skin. How can someone turn a blind eye and just go along with others like that? How does everybody nod and say yes when somebody says something like, “You know what this PTA meeting needs…some human blood!”

Anyway, I don’t want to tell you not to do something to help when you can, because there are times when we do depend on the kindness of strangers. But what I will tell you is to keep your eyes and your wits around you. And be careful. Because you never know what’s hiding behind the bushes.



Suspense, the first book in the Spencer Nye Trilogy is currently available!

Synopsis: Spencer Nye can’t control the rage bubbling under her skin over the world around her. The trouble is, by the year 2102, the world has solved most of its great problems. Without hunger, war, greed, or even money, people obsess over the glamour of the Culture Industry and its mega-celebrity Idols, who vie for followers over the social networks of Connect.

But Spencer discovers there is plenty to fix within the Idols’ competition for more popularity. She becomes a diehard and promises to do anything to help her Idol, a dreamy movie star named Cleary Mintz, bring his vision of hope and purpose to the world. When she stumbles onto a threat against his life, she’ll have to fight harder than she ever thought possible or lose the man who means more to her than any other.


Order Online:

Amazon | Barnes and Noble | The Book Depository


Find Jason Online:


Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook



Don't forget to stop by and check out who Jessica is featuring today for Haunted Halloween!

REMINDER: *If you are interested in the COMMENT CONTEST, remember to include your email address with your comment for an extra entry.
Please ready full entry rules >>>HERE<<<

Jason, thanks so much for sharing this more than creepy story. I think I'll have nightmares. Seriously, one of the scariest things I've heard.

*I am not compensated at all for any of the links within this page.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

14 comments:

  1. Freaky story! thanks for the post.
    veltara(at)yahoo(dot0com

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you think a group of people are scarier than monsters, then imagine if those were a group of monsters instead of people. Thanks for the post!

    Email: osnapitzAngiex3(AT)aol(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't heard of this one. Sounds interesting!

    jessica(DOT)agreatread(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! That's tooo freaky. I would have probably gotten out of my car but I'd have first dialed 911. Thank god for cell phones! Might not save me in time if someone was to try an ambush but at least the police would kinda of an idea of what happened.

    Thanks for a very spooky post!

    efender1(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH! That's tooo freaky. I would have probably gotten out of my car but I'd have first dialed 911. Thank god for cell phones! Might not save me in time if someone was to try an ambush but at least the police would kinda of an idea of what happened.

    Thanks for a very spooky post!

    efender1(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I would have gotten out of there as quickly as humanly possible too!!

    Amanda
    hippiesbeautyandbooksohmy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm new to this series. I'll have to check it out. Sounds promising.

    Vivien
    deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary DeBorde [M.A.D.]
    zenrei57 (at) hotmail dot com

    Okay, that was pretty creepy!! I don't know which would have freaked me out worse - seeing the two *bodies* suddenly sitting up, or all their cohorts clambering out of the woods. :O

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes, I hadn't heard that story before.

    liedermadchen(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a really creepy story, but the book doesn't sound creepy at all:) Thanks for the post.

    bchild5 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very weird and creepy. Not something I would like to encounter.

    spyblue78(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a SERIOUSLY CREEPY story!

    AmethystDaydreams at zoho dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is indeed scary!

    justforswag(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. SCARY story... It took me a moment to truly grasp the potential danger in that situation, but once I did... oh boy. I'm in a long distance relationship and so I drive late at night, all alone, on long trips in the middle of nowhere just like that so that really hits a nerve with me. Thanks for the spooky story! (Note to self: don't stop for dead people when driving at night alone :P)
    chiri_chan29330@yahoo.com

    -Nichole

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love