02 April 2012

Title: The Alchemy of Forever (Incarnation, #1)
Author: Avery Williams
Publisher: Simon & Schuster, 256 Pages (January 3rd, 2012)
From: the Publisher & Amazon Vine
Format: ARC

Synopsis: Seraphina has been alive since the 1300's, made immortal when the boy she was beginning to love back then, Cyrus, saved her from death with a strange liquid - a method of alchemy that lets them swap bodies with any human being. But now, in modern day America, Sera has decided that she can no longer bear the weight of stealing people's lives so she can keep living on. So she decides to run away from Cyrus and end her stolen existence once and for all. Her plan goes awry when she accidentally takes the body of a dying teenager and feels forced to take over her life. When the lines between Sera and Kailey's identity begin to blur, Sera finds a reason to desire to live once more. But she can't shake the guilt of having taken Kailey's life, even if she was dying. And what if Cyrus finds her?


Review: 4 Stars - The Alchemy of Forever by Avery Williams was nothing what I expected, yet everything I enjoy in a fascinating story with engaging characters.

Seraphina has lived an extremely long life. She was born and became immortal in the 1300’s. Cyrus, a boy she had a crush on saved her the night she died using a liquid that him and his father had made using Alchemy. In present day it’s not just the two – Sera and Cyrus – anymore. They have a small group of people who Cyrus has also saved. They stick close together, live together and celebrate their “reincarnation” together. 

It’s a somewhat sad process, the way they reincarnate, having to jump from body to body to stay alive, I felt bad for Sera and reading her thoughts on the process made her feel more human and relatable as a person. She’s made up her mind over her life, she has a plan and goes out of her way to get away from Cyrus and make it happen. Sadly things don’t go as planned and she ends up in a place she never expected. 

Living in someone else’s shoes is one thing, but to live as someone else is a totally different story, yet that’s exactly what Sera is forced to do. I had no idea how she was going to make it, to live as someone else but she somehow manages and I have to say that it’s all down to the imagination and writing from Williams. Lots of pieces in this story, yet they all fell together nicely, yet sadly not lawlessly from our main protagonist Sera.

I can’t not talk about Cyrus… he’s evil through and through. He’s creepy and is on a massive power trip. I guess that’s what happens when you can control who’s immortal and not. He holds the key to living forever and believes that gives him the right to force a continuation of a long live on Sera too. He just doesn’t want to let her down and will do anything to keep her with him. Being that she’s hiding in a stranger’s body, life and family, you’d think that would make it harder for him to find her, yet he does. He just doesn’t know exactly who she is. He’s the ultimate scary if you ask me… knowing he can be anyone at anytime just gives me the willies. Talk about what nightmares are made of! Poor Sera!

As for the ending! WOW!!! I had a feeling that might be coming, but I kept hoping for the best. It’s an ending that has stuck with me and I’m eagerly waiting what Williams will have for us next. I highly recommend this title to anyone who’s looking for something different when it comes to young adult titles. So, don’t pass this one by and enjoy!

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

3 comments:

  1. I really liked this book! Cyrus was definitely very creepy and sinister. The ending totally caught me off guard and now I'm dying to read the next book. Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...an ending that sticks with you? Now I'm curious...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really good! I'm a sucker for a great ending!

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love