10 October 2011

Haunted Halloween 2011: Guest Post - Jennifer Rush


 
When I was thirteen, my best friend lived in a Victorian house with an old creaking staircase and beautiful stained-glass windows. One Sunday morning, my friend left early for a shift at the café down the street. Her mom was out grocery shopping. Our families had been close for a long time, so it wasn’t unusual for me to be left alone at their house.

I was in the living room watching a movie when I heard the staircase creak. I muted the TV. Footsteps sounded overhead. I held my breath. I sat there, completely still. Finally, I worked up enough courage to tiptoe to the front of the house. At the bottom of the stairs, I looked up. “Hello?” I called. I don’t know who I thought might answer. My friend had an older sister who’d gone to a friend’s house the night before, but surely I would have heard the front door open.

The family had an old basset hound, so as I stood there, the rational side of me reasoned that it must have been the dog. I went back to the living room. My friend came home a half hour later. Her mom returned with groceries.

Later that afternoon, we realized we hadn’t seen the dog in several hours. We checked the downstairs rooms. When we didn’t find him, we went upstairs and my friend called out his name. There was a scratching on the other side of the attic door. My friend opened the lock, pushed in the door and the dog came barreling out.

We peered into the darkness of the attic before slamming the door closed and sliding the lock back into place. No one knew how long the dog had been in there, or when he’d last been seen, but I convinced myself that whatever I’d heard earlier that morning had something to do with the dog being locked inside.

That was the last time I ever slept over.



Altered will be available from Little, Brown in 2012

Synopsis: Jennifer Rush's debut ALTERED, pitched as Dollhouse meets Prison Break for teens, about a 17-year-old who finds herself on the run from her father's enigmatic Agency along with the four teen boys the Agency had been experimenting on, in a mystery of erased memories, secret identities, and genetic alteration.

Find Jenn Online:

Website/Blog | Twitter

Currently not available to pre-order.


Jenn, thanks so much for telling your true scary story! It was great to have you here on the blog today. Let's be sure to visit again to celebrate the release of Altered! I know I can't wait to read it!


Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

16 comments:

  1. That would be last time I ever slept over there too lol. I love that it was a Victorian Home - definitely adds to the creepiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post! Scary!!

    I'm putting this book on my wishlist! sounds fabulous!

    efender1(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh that sounds like an interesting novel!! Will have to check it out next year!!

    jessica(DOT)agreatread(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tale! Also really excited for the debut novel. Sounds great!

    Vivien
    deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't have slept over again either, haha :-)

    justforswag(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im never going into old houses. This settles it.

    chelle2006 @ aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving these stories. I keep trying to remember if I ever had some type of ghostly or creepy experience. But if I did I have blocked the event from my mind.

    spyblue78(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, that would be the last time I ever slept there too! lol

    Amanda
    hippiesbeautyandbooksohmy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Pup! Lol He was probably scared of the noise too =P

    I definitely wouldn't have went back. I'm to big of a chicken!

    -Brandi
    bgilvaja87(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dog trapped in the attic...uggggggh poor baby. Howling in the night would haunt my dreams.
    veltara(at)yahoo(dot)com
    thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. awww, pooor doggie :(. Footsteps at night scares me especially when no one is home o.o

    lilyflower999 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo I love big old creepy houses like that! Scary!!! I wouldn't sleep over again either!
    chiri_chan29330@yahoo.com

    -Nichole

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww, poor dog.

    liedermadchen(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary DeBorde
    zenrei57 (at) hotmail dot com

    Poor little guy! :(

    A friend of mine used to live in a rambling old Victorian and just walking up that uber steep staircase to go upstairs was creepy enough - couldn't imagine sleeping there lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so do not blame you for not sleeping over again. I'd probably go so far as to not even go into the house again.

    Nikki(at)wickedawesomebooks(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great and scary story! Thanks for the post:)


    bchild5 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love