22 February 2012

Review: Balthazar By: Claudia Gray (Dark Days Tour)

Title: Balthazar
Author: Claudia Gray
Publisher: HarperTeen, 374 Pages (March 6th, 2012)
From: the Publisher
Format: ARC

Synopsis: Vampire heartthrob Balthazar More, first introduced to readers in the New York Times bestselling Evernight series, fights for true love in this electrifying stand-alone novel.

Haunted by memories from his first days as a vampire, Balthazar has spent hundreds of years alone—without allies, without love. When he emerges from his isolation to help Skye Tierney, a human girl who once attended Evernight Academy, Balthazar has no idea how dangerous it will be. Skye’s psychic powers have caught the attention of Redgrave, the cruel master vampire responsible for murdering Balthazar and his family four centuries ago. Having learned of Skye’s powers and the remarkable effect her blood has on vampires, he plans to use her for his own evil purposes. As they stand together to fight the evil vampire, Balthazar realizes his lonely world could finally be changed by Skye...just as Redgrave realizes that he can destroy Balthazar once and for all by taking her for his own.

Review: 4 Stars - Balthazar, is a fantastic companion novel to the Evernight series by Claudia Gray. Many fans, including myself were excited and eager to have a book devoted to a beloved character and we weren’t let down in this thrilling, action packed whirlwind of a story.

Balthazar has always been a huge fan favorite, even being the mystery that he is to readers; you just couldn’t help have this character capture a piece of your heart. He’s quiet, reserved and with a heart of gold and I seriously couldn’t read this title fast enough. Balthazar’s story had a bit of everything – strong characters, amazing background story, action from beginning to end and so much more.

When Skye runs into some trouble, Balthazar comes to her aid in trying to work out why she’s being hunted. Skye is a pretty strong character and can give as good as she gets but at the end of the day she is  just a normal teen girl, who finds out that there was so much more out there than originally thought.  I mean it would be hard to not end up knowing there are Vampires, when you used to attend a private boarding school full of them!

The two together were extremely entertaining, they danced around their emotions and feelings for each other but at the same time they had some pretty heavy issues to deal with from their pasts, not to mention the present danger looming over them. One of the main parts to the story that I loved was how amazingly well Gray incorporated Balthazar’s past with the present day. Unique and clever are two words that come to mind.

I’m one who loves, loves, loves alternating points of view for the simple reason that I get a more rounded telling of the story. When I get a chance to see things from more than one characters point of view it always adds tons of depth. So Gray did an amazing job in telling this story from both Balthazar and Skye’s views. The flash backs of Balthazars life when he was first turned into a vampire were fascinating, emotional and even heart breaking. These moments in the story really gave me such a better idea into who he was and why he felt the way he does.

All in all, Gray has taken so many of the things I love in a great story and whisked them together to bring history and more life to such a beloved character. While this book is different from the Evernight series, set in a different place and focuses on different characters, fans will be sure to gobble this one up and be ready for more! For me, as I turned that last page, I had to wonder if this will be the last we’ll see of Balthazar and Skye. I hope Gray has more up her sleeve and we’ll get a chance to read their continuing story in the future soon.

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

1 comment:

  1. Love your review. Balthazar was one of my favorite characters and I was hoping that Claudia Gray would do him justice - I'm glad she did. I cannot wait to read this book!

    Take care,
    Evie@Paromantasy

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love