13 September 2011

Title: Beautifully Broken (Spellbound, #1)
Author: Sherry Soule
Publisher: Moonlight Publishing, 328 Pages (June 30th 2011)
From: the Author, Thank You!

Synopsis: Thirteenth daughter. Heritage witch. Demon slayer.

They say every town has its secrets, but that doesn’t even begin to describe Whispering Pines. The townsfolk are a superstitious lot and the mystical disappearance of a local teen has everyone murmuring about a centuries old witch’s curse.

Sixteen-year-old Shiloh Ravenwolf is a heritage witch from the Broussard family, a family both destined and cursed. When she takes a summer job at Ravenhurst Manor, she discovers a ghost with an agenda. That’s where she meets the new town hottie, Trent Donovan, and immediately becomes spellbound by his charms. Yet she is determined to discover the connection between them before it’s too late.

Finally, Shiloh's met someone who is supercute and totally into her, but Trent may be the next victim on the supernatural hit list. And Shiloh is the only person with the power to save him. Complicated much?

It sucks to have a destiny, especially since Shiloh would rather spend her summer being a normal girl who worries about clothes and boys, not the supernatural. But she’s never been
normal and the stranger things become the more her own magical senses awaken.

With cryptic messages from a pesky wraith, she will begin to understand the mysterious significance of the strange mark branded on her wrist, and decide how much she's willing to sacrifice to protect the other teenagers in town.

Unfortunately, for Shiloh, not all ghosts want help crossing over. Some want vengeance.


Review: 4 Stars - Beautifully Broken, the first in the Spellbound series from author Sherry Soule is filled with mystery, romance, magic and more, all set in a small town, with an old gothic mansion as the backdrop.

Shiloh has a lot to deal with for being only sixteen years old. And things are about to get worse, yeah… seriously. She’s not got the best home life, with a mother running frigid to cold at best and a father who’s supportive, but tends to keep his mouth shut and not get in the middle; what’s a girl to do? She’s some what of an outcast but has a couple pretty good friends and one best friend. For me, she was even kind of awkward. With the shadows starting to close in around her, something evil wanting her dead and a new beautiful boy in town that’s showing interest, she’s bound to stumble along the way.

And then we have Trent, the new beautiful boy in town. Who happens to live in the old gothic mansion that the town somewhat fears. Everyone believes it’s haunted, except Trent. He’s a great character most of the time. I would have rated this title a bit higher if not for how hot and cold I felt he was. It was sometimes a struggle for me to understand who he was and why he did the things he did. Some of those questions were answered and some I just never understood. Does it make him a bad character? Nope, just a boy, a teen boy with some pretty huge issues of his own, so I often felt he needed to be given some slack where his attitude was concerned.

The relationship between Shiloh and Trent was kind of strange as well. The constant push and pull of the two made me question their relationship here and there. This has to do more with what I mentioned about above and Trent running hot and cold AND with all that the two were facing throughout the story. Overall, I found their interaction cute and totally teen and that sometimes their relationship gave the story and each of the characters a break from the crap they had going on around them.

When Trent and his dad move back in to town to renovate their run down home Ravenhurst; teens start going missing again and the town starts to panic thinking it’s because there’s something going on with the house. And as Shiloh takes a summer intern job working with the contractor who’s doing the renovation, you just know things are bound to get much, much worse before they get better. But, can one teen girl figure out the town’s curse and save anyone else from being hurt, taken or killed?

Those are questions you’ll find yourself asking while reading and not to worry, the answers will come fast and furious. Not all things are answered or addressed, but there were just enough that I didn’t feel like I was missing to much or that there were to many things left wide open until the rest of the series, and that’s always a HUGE plus if you ask me.

All in all, Soule has done a great job with this one and I am looking forward to the next installment to see what comes next for Shiloh and Trent and more so, what’s going to happen to both of their families. So, if you’re looking for a book with magic, romance, mystery, be definitely sure to pick this one up. Happy reading!

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

5 comments:

  1. Sounds really good! I saw this on goodreads and thought it looked interesting, haven't read a good mystery in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit the synopsis (and your review) intrigues me. Hmmm...I'll have to add it to my neverending to-read list!

    Thanks for the review, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cover looks gorgeous and really interesting book, Sounds great, Thanks a lot for sharing here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to read these kinds of books, they are so thrilling and creative and this book seems to have all of them, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you taking the time to read and review my novel. The review is fantastic and well-written. I hope your followers appreciated the post and are interested in reading my debut novel, Beautifully Broken. :-D

    Happy reading,
    ~Sherry

    Check out My Books

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love