29 November 2011

Title: Lola and the Boy Next Door
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Publisher: Dutton, 338 Pages (September 29th, 2011)
From: purchased from Amazon

Synopsis: Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.


Review: 5 Stars - Lola and the Boy Next Door, sophomore title from author Stephanie Perkins was a book many of us have been waiting on pins and needles for since Anna and the French Kiss. What can I say? Perkins has done it again!

It’s safe to say that after reading this title, I will read anything that Perkins writes. She has penned some memorable and amazing characters that are easy to fall in love with and highly relate-able making this one of those books that once you pick up, don’t even think of having any plans on moving from your spot anytime soon, because you won’t be putting it down.

Lola and Cricket might be different and quirky, but how can you not read this book and love every last little detail of the two. Lola and her bright colors, wigs and endless accessories; Cricket with his writing on his hands, shy way about him and his own very different sense of style. Without a doubt each of these characters personalities were magnetic to me.

It’s nice to see family written into a YA title as well. It’s not often that we get to see and hear from a true family unit other than just the teens within the story. Perkins did a wonderful thing by including both Lola’s family and Crickets family as key parts to their story. It made everything about the book and characters more real and honest.

Anna and St. Clair from Anna and the French Kiss made an appearance here and there throughout this companion novel, which was such a bonus since I LOVED their story as well. It was fun to get a chance to check in with those two and see how they are. I was ecstatic to see them continue to show up within the story often and liked that they were involved in both Lola and Crickets lives.

All in all, love comes to mind when I think of this book. Love for the story, characters and writing. Perkins is a force within the contemporary YA genre. As mentioned at the beginning of this review, I will forever more read anything that Perkins writes. I can’t wait for Isla and the Happily Ever After and will be looking forward to seeing if Anna, St. Clair, Lola or Cricket will be making their own guest appearances. There’s no doubt that I recommending this title to anyone who loved Anna and the French Kiss and if you haven’t read that, I have no clue what’s stopping you – go out and get both of these titles and read right away today!

FTC Disclaimer: I DID pay for this book, and have NOT been compensated at all in any way or means for reading this book and or writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

7 comments:

  1. Yay! Share the Lola love. :D Stephanie Perkins writes the cutest romances. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only heard good things about this book. Nice to know you liked it too. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not wait to read this one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fact that Anna makes an appearance! I have to get to this one soon! Awesome review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perkins is such a fantastic writer! I didn't enjoy Lola as much as I enjoyed Anna, but I still really liked it. I loved the characters, especially Cricket! *swoooon* Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!

    I read this book last summer. Like you wrote it, the author made it again. I'm wondering how an author can create so much different characters but still with a lovely romance that will always bring a smile on our face.
    Great review !

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love