04 February 2012

Title: Everneath (Everneath, #1)
Author: Brodi Ashton
Publisher: Balzer & Bray
From: the Publisher, Thank You!
Format: ARC

Synopsis: Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...


Review: 4 stars - Everneath, the freshman title from author Brodi Ashton is more than unique; it’s a wonderful breath of fresh air for fans of the YA genre. Anston takes Greek mythology and twists together those myths with her own story, which launches us into part one of what’s sure to be a fantastic new trilogy.

To all her friends and family, Nikki disappeared without a trace. Throughout the novel we learn more about what happened to her before, during and after the life changing choice she made. She had no idea what was about to happen, being taken to the Everneath and her emotions used to feed immortals.

When I first started reading Everneath I was often confused and sometimes frustrated that I didn’t understand what was happening and some of the terms that were used. The story is told from the point of view of Nikki and jumps around from before the Feed, to present day, to while Nikki was in the Everneath. Time changes differently in the normal world and the Everneath, in the normal world Nikki was only gone for 6 months, yet for Nikki in the Everneath she was there for 100 years. It took some getting used to, yet the more you read the more you become immersed in the story and the characters.

Nikki might have made a huge mistake and is paying an amazingly HUGE price for it, yet the returned Nikki has a good head on her shoulders and is out to try to fix some things with the people she loves the most. I grew to care about Nikki the more I read. She had fears, she had worries and they all were about others feelings first and her own fear second. 

I think the confusion I felt was warranted because of the fact that Nikki was dealing with so much and only had such a short time to comprehend it all. While I’m not sure if it was Ashtons plans to have her readers confused, it worked because you…. and this is going to sound really weird, but for me I think I had more of a chance to understand where Nikki was coming from because of that confusion. Weird I know, but that’s the conclusion I came to when I finished reading.

Greek mythology was sprinkled here and there throughout the pages and added another layer to the story that was welcome and appreciated. While it was a larger part of the overall picture that Ashton was trying to paint it wasn’t overpowering in the slightest. I’m always one looking to better understand authors take on myths, yet Ashton had just enough not to confuse or diluted the story with an abundance of facts.  I have to give Ashton props for the mythology and how wonderfully it was interlaced in the story.

Jack and Cole are totally different from one another. My heart broke a little bit for Jack. He felt so real to me. I’m team Jack through and through, at least after this book. I felt like I could see the cracks from the devastating loss he had when Nikki vanished. The wounds are there and deep when she returns. One thing was watching him try to mend and heal those cracks once she came back. The parts of the story with Jack were some of my favorite. I could really feel what he was feeling. And then we have Cole. I didn’t care for this character one bit. I cringed when he was around. You just knew something bad was about to happen, totally not a fan of Cole’s. I usually love the bad boys, but not this one. He’s just… GUH! Frustrating! Maybe in the next book I’d like him a bit more.

A few things that were wonderful about this book was Ashton’s writing and that the story was lacking many of the usual things we find in YA novels, like a love triangle. You won’t find it here. Yet there was somewhat of a cliff-hanger that tends to happen in a book within a series or a trilogy, so be prepared. 

All in all, the last quart of the book flew by in a flash! At the end I felt that there were many conclusions and some lingering questions, which is a usual thing when it’s the beginning of series or trilogy. Ashton’s story was a pleasure to read and the Nikki and Jack were two characters I had even more of a pleasure getting to know. Also, I have to say that the cover for this one is one of my favorites! Talk about breathtaking! I’m looking forward to the next installment to see what Ashton’s characters have in store for us next. Happy Reading.

For more info on this new Monthly event - 
Blogger Talk: Novel Exposed, please
>>>CLICK HERE<<<

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

2 comments:

  1. I'm really glad to hear how much you liked this one, and I can ALWAYS use a breath of fresh air in my books. And since a certain awesome person sent me a copy of this book (:D), hopefully I'll get around to reading it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover for this so much! And I am thrilled that there is no love triangle-so sick of them in YA. I just put this on hold at the library so I'll hopefully be able to give it a read soon!

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love