13 December 2011

Review: Between By: Jessica Warman

Title: Between
Author: Jessica Warman
Publisher: Walker & Company, 464 Pages (August 2nd, 2011)
From: the Publisher, Thank You!

Synopsis: Elizabeth Valchar—pretty, popular, and perfect—wakes up the morning after her eighteenth birthday party on her family’s yacht, where she’d been celebrating with her six closest friends. A persistent thumping noise has roused her. When she goes to investigate, what she finds will change everything she thought she knew about her life, her friends, and what lies in between. As Liz begins to unravel the circumstances surrounding her birthday night, she will find that no one around her, least of all Liz herself, was perfect—or innocent.

Critically acclaimed author Jessica Warman brings readers along on a roller-coaster ride of a mystery, one that is also a heartbreaking character study, a touching romance, and ultimately a hopeful tale of redemption, love, and letting go.

Review: 3 Stars - Between By Jessica Warman is a thought provoking, interesting and mysterious tale of two people’s journey after events forever change their lives and who they are. As a fan of Warman’s novel – Where the Truth Lies – I was jumping at the chance to read and review Between. I’m a big fan of Warman’s writing and her descriptive characters.

After reading Between, it took me awhile to figure out just what I thought of this story and these characters. While for me, it wasn’t a 5 star book, it was a notable read. You get a clear visual of the characters from beginning to end and a front row seat as you watch the mystery unfold before them. At times it was painful to be a, fly on the wall, per say as things came to light for Elizabeth and the truth of what really happened to Alex.

I must give Warman credit where credit is due when it comes to writing emotions. The book is chock filled with them. The characters and the reader get hit time and time again with the stages of Grief and Guilt to make a couple. While I loved the writing and the emotion, there were parts of the story were I felt such a lull while reading. I think this is one of the reasons why it’s take me this long to finally write the review.

Another think I need to commend Warman on is writing two such vastly different characters when it comes to Liz and Alex. Liz, the mean popular girl that made me cringe over and over again. Seriously, this character… I never hated one more than this girl. And then there’s Alex… You feel horrible for him over and over again. I almost felt like he never got a break, but his part of the story gives such light and perspective to Liz as she tries to find her way in what was her life and now in death.

All in all, I am still a fan after Between. Warman’s writing and storytelling was there by the page full’s, it just was a bit on the slow side for me. With a mystery that’ll keep you guessing and as a fan of her work, it was easy to finish the book and even easier for me to recommend.

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honest review. I'll keep a close watch to see what others think. I have to have a strong desire to read a book right now based off of my to-read list!

    Magical Urban Fantasy Reads
    bookluvrmindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I keep forgetting I have this one on my shelf I love the cover but I keep seeing only so-so reviews on it. I'M really curious about it though I'll def be reading it soon to see what it's all about.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love