07 March 2011

Guest Post: Nikki of Wicked Awesome Books

Lisa, thanks for having me at A Life Bound by Books. I've been looking forward to sharing some books with your readers.

Hello all! I’m stopping by to give you a taste of some book worlds that really came to life for me. So, without further ado, here are some books that are so atmospheric that they put the reader directly into their setting, feeling the cold, the heat, the winds, or tasting the dampness in the air. These books transport the reader to place that is so lifelike, it’s nearly impossible to see it as just a place in a book.


Need by Carrie Jones
Faeries and weres run around a tiny Maine town bathed in snow in this one. The setting really comes to life during a snowstorm that strands Zara and Nick in a cabin for days.





The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge
Cold iron and engineworks occupy every inch of this alternate 1950’s Massachusetts and if you’re up for a world that is so unlike our own, check this one out.




Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
Clara Gardner’s life in Wyoming goes through a few different seasons and each one is vivid and real; from skiing on the cold mountains and powdery snow to swimming in the fast-moving river. If you want to feel the snowball in your hand or the water lapping at your ankles, then check this one out.



Project 17 by Laurie Faria Stolarz
This world is very much our own, but the remnants of Danvers State Hospital will freak you out. Ghosts, scary stories, and pains of past patients litter the sprawling hospital and will force the reader to hug their blanket and pray for a nightlight.



Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
I have never read a book that made me feel the setting more so than Shiver did. Each turn of the page had the coldness seeping into my skin, freezing me. This the perfect book for cold winter nights with the wind howling out your window.




The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff
You know those dark, rainy days when all you want to do is curl up with a good book? The Replacement is the book you should be curling up with. Mackie’s story has a creepy edge to it and the pitter patter of rain on your windows will keep perfect rhythm with the rain in the town of Gentry.



The Scorch Trials by James Dashner
The Scorch Trials is a great read for those hot days when the sun bakes the earth. Tom’s journey across a desert-like landscape leaves the reader thirsting for more from his story, as well as a cold glass of water.




The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith
This story transports Jack, as well as the reader, to a world that is in the midst of a war. Monsters that resemble the human beings they once were could be around every building or bush and death lingers in every corner. This story is great for some psychological carnage.

Thanks for having me everyone. I hope you all have the chance to check out some of these books.

It was great to have you here for the day Nikki! You've mentioned some amazing titles, some I've read and some I haven't - BUT - have the books and am looking forward to reading. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to work on this post for me. Thank you, Thank you Thank YOU!



Find Nikki Online:

Blog | Twitter | Goodreads



*Links within this post take you to Goodreads.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

5 comments:

  1. Great books!
    l have The Replacement and Need to read so it greats to hear you enjoyed them. Especially when Shiver and Unearthly are in this list .. sounds we like the same sort of books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was literally gone to pick up half these books at the library like an hour ago!! lol. :)

    Aryelle @ ReadingwiththeFishes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank YOU for having me! It's been a pleasure to fill in for the day :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I want to read all of those now! The Iron Thorn is one I've been wanting to get hold of since I first saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great guest post! I've read about half of these and am very curious about the other half! Going to check out your blog now! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love