04 October 2013

Review: Beautiful Broken By: Nazarea Andrews

Title: Beautiful Broken (University of Branton, #2)
Author: Nazarea Andrews
Publisher: A&A Literary, 273 pages (September 24th 2013)
From: the Author
Format: eARC
Add to: Goodreads
Order here: Amazon, Barnes and NobleAmazon UK

Check out my review of: This Love (University of Branton, #2)

NOTE: This is a "New Adult" novel. Due to mature content this title is recommended for ages 17+

Synopsis: She's been broken by her past. He's been breaking for as long as he can remember.

Together, they can make each other whole--or destroy each other.

When his best friend asks for something, Dane rarely says no. But babysitting a newly sober Scout Grimes for three weeks isn't exactly a normal request. And with their history, it's a recipe for disaster. Not to mention, she's drop dead gorgeous and he can't touch her.

There are few people Scout trusts as much as Dane Guillot. He's always been her safe place, where nothing can hurt her. He's also been the only man she's never let herself want--screwing up their friendship isn't worth one amazing night together.

They have too much history, and too much personal baggage to ever work. But if they are willing to take a chance on love--it might be worth the risk.

Review: 4 Stars - Beautiful Broken is a companion novel in author Nazarea Andrews, University of Branton series. It’s a story about two broken people who are trying to heal and find their footing while dealing with issues in the past and the present. Secondary characters now have a chance to tell their story while the main characters from the first installment, This Love, now have a backing role.

Scout and Dane have known each other just about forever. Dane is Scouts older brothers’ best friend making them a trio with Scout tagging along over the years. When Scout needs Dane, he’s always been there. Dane knows things even her brother doesn’t know and she wants to keep it that way. She’s dealing with painful events from her past and uses drugs and alcohol to try to escape from the scared scarred girl she really is.
Dane has been taking care of Scout on and off since they were kids. When one night the unthinkable happens he’s there for her in a way no one else could have been. He keeps her secret but also knows that this will only hurt her more… which comes true as he watches her downward spiral over the years. He’s keeping some deep, deep rooted issues buried within as well so the two are somewhat doomed from the start.

As the synopsis says they have history and man, does it run deep. And the baggage each carries is so much that no one should be burdened by that much weight on their shoulders alone.

Scout living with Dane, yeah… trouble with a capital T. However the two together in a friendship because of what they’ve been through made perfect sense to me as a reader. They were both so stubborn and had more than their fair share of snarky moments yet there was something so special that Andrews captured in these two broken people. You couldn’t help but see that there was hope and change, growth too bubbling under the surface.

There’s no question that these two had a strong connection in This Love so I knew when their story was told we’d get a chance to see more. The heat between them was another part of their relationship that was extremely apparent and boy, it’s not lacking at all in the romance department. However, it all unfolds if you will a bit differently than the norm because of their past, because of just how broken they both are in the battles both are facing from internal issues they can’t seem to find a way to combat.

I have to give Andrews a huge pat on the back for writing such captivatingly broken characters and how she gave them such an honest story that made them, if you will, more human than just the on the page fictional characters. I loved their story more because of their flaws. Characters that aren’t perfect have such an honest quality to them that I always appreciate.

When looking for a wonderfully written “New Adult” contemporary title please don’t pass this one by. While it is a companion novel you can read both This Love and this title as stand alone, but I wouldn’t suggest it as there will be characters from each story that somewhat overlap. You won’t be confused at all but I believe for the overall picture of this amazing series both titles should be read in order. When looking for a “New Adult” title remember this one… I know it’ll be sticking with me for a long, long time to come. Enjoy!


Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love