29 December 2010

My Top 10 Covers for 2010

For the rest of the week, I'll be posting a Top 10 List of books for 2010 and 2011. Jessica from Confessions of a Bookaholic and I thought it might be fun to do a sort of recap, sharing all the books we've loved - for various reasons and then some. I hope you enjoy my list. Be sure to head over and check out Jessica's too. Also, dont forget to keep checking back each day for a new list to see who's on it.


Title: Nevermore (Nevermore, #1)
Author: Kelly Creagh
Publisher: Atheneum, 543 Pages (August 31st 2010)
My Review

Why I love the cover, in a sentence - It's dark, it's emotional and it's HOT - giving you a taste to just what's to come.

Synopsis: And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting

On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;

And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,

And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;

And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted - nevermore!

from "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe

Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.

His life depends on it.


Title: Halo (Halo, #1)
Author: Alexandra Adornetto
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends, 496 Pages (August 31st 2010)
My Review

Why I love the cover, in a sentence - it's beautiful and graceful, need I say more?

Synopsis: Nothing much happens in the sleepy town of Venus Cove. But everything changes when three angels are sent from heaven to protect the town against the gathering forces of darkness: Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, a teenage girl who is the least experienced of the trio. They work hard to conceal their true identity and, most of all, their wings.

But the mission is threatened when the youngest angel, Bethany, is sent to high school and falls in love with the handsome school captain, Xavier Woods. Will she defy the laws of Heaven by loving him? Things come to a head when the angels realize they are not the only supernatural power in Venus Cove. There′s a new kid in town and he's charming, seductive and deadly. Worst of all, he′s after Beth.



Title: Sing Me To Sleep
Author: Angela Morrison
Publisher: Razorbill, 301 Pages (March 4th 2010)
My Review

Why I love the cover, in a sentence - This book cover has drawn me in since I first saw it and I can say that I still love it even to this day, just why I love it.... it's romantic.

Synopsis: THE TRANSFORMATION

Beth has always been “The Beast”—that's what everyone at school calls her because of her awkward height, facial scars, and thick glasses. Beth's only friend is geeky, golden-haired Scott. That is, until she's selected to be her choir's soprano soloist, and receives the makeover that will change her life forever.

THE LOVE AFFAIR

When Beth's choir travels to Switzerland, she meets Derek: pale, brooding, totally dreamy. Derek's untethered passion—for music, and for Beth—leaves her breathless. Because in Derek's eyes? She's not The Beast, she's The Beauty.

THE IMPOSSIBLE CHOICE

When Beth comes home, Scott, her best friend in the world, makes a confession that leaves her completely torn. Should she stand by sweet, steady Scott or follow the dangerous, intense new feelings she has for Derek?

THE HEARTBREAK

The closer Beth gets to Derek, the further away he seems. Then Beth discovers that Derek's been hiding a dark secret from her …one that could shatter everything.


Title: Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2)
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher: Scholastic Press, 362 Pages (July 13th 2010)
My Review

Why I love the cover, in a sentence - Each and everyone of these covers are some of my all time favorites, being that green is my favorite color, I was excited to see how this turned out... and seeing that it's Grace walking off into the woods and knowing how Shiver ended made my heart break just a little.....

Synopsis: In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.


Title: Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1)
Author: Kiersten White
Publisher: HarperTeen, 335 Pages (August 31st 2010)
My Review

Why I love the cover, in a sentence - Gotta love Evie - and the whole calm before the storm look to this beautiful cover.

Synopsis: Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.

But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.


Title: Nightshade (Nightshade, #1)
Author: Andrea Cremer
Publisher: Philomel, 454 Pages (October 19th 2010)

Why I love the cover, in a sentence - You have to see this cover in person to do it justice... it's amazing beautiful.

Synopsis: Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything— including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?


Title: Matched (Matched, #1)
Author: ally Condie
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile, 336 Pages (November 30th 2010)

Why I love the cover, in a sentence - Another cover with green as a focal point - will always draw me in and the girl trapped in a bubble seems to fit pretty perfectly with what this story is about.

Synopsis: Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.



Title: Rules of Attraction (Perfect Chemistry, #2)
Author: Simone Elkeles
Publisher: Walker & Company, 324 Pages (April 27th 2010)

Why I love the cover, in a sentence - It's HOT, it's sexy... it's a Fuentes brother.

Synopsis: When Carlos Fuentes returns to America after living in Mexico for a year, he doesn’t want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him at a high school in Colorado . Carlos likes living his life on the edge and wants to carve his own path—just like Alex did. Then he meets Kiara Westford. She doesn’t talk much and is completely intimidated by Carlos’ wild ways. As they get to know one another, Carlos assumes Kiara thinks she’s too good for him, and refuses to admit that she might be getting to him. But he soon realizes that being himself is exactly what Kiara needs right now.



Title: Personal Demons (Personal Demons, #1)
Author: Lisa Desrochers
Publisher: Tor Teen, 364 Pages (September 14th 2010)

Why I love the cover, in a sentence - Two hot guys - one an angel, one a demon... nothing more to say.

Synopsis: Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She's spent years keeping everyone at a distance—even her closest friends—and it seems her senior year will be more of the same...until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can't seem to stay away from him. What she doesn't know is that Luc works in Acquisitions—for Hell—and she possesses a unique skill set that has the King of Hell tingling with anticipation. All Luc has to do is get her to sin, and he’s as tempting as they come. Frannie doesn’t stand a chance.

Unfortunately for Luc, Heaven has other plans, and the angel, Gabe, is going to do whatever it takes to make sure that Luc doesn’t get what he came for. And it isn't long before they find themselves fighting for more than just her soul.

But if Luc fails, there will be Hell to pay…for all of them.


Title: The Dark Divine (The Dark Divine, #1)
Author: Bree Despain
Publisher: Egmont, 372 Pages (December 22nd 2009)
My Review

Why I love the cover, in a sentence - This cover is beautiful in a eerie way, it's dark and mysterious too which always draws me in.

Synopsis: A Prodigal Son

A Dangerous Love

A Deadly Secret

Grace Divine—daughter of the local pastor—always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared and her brother Jude came home covered in his own blood.

Now that Daniel's returned, Grace must choose between her growing attraction to him and her loyalty to her brother.

As Grace gets closer to Daniel, she learns the truth about that mysterious night and how to save the ones she loves, but it might cost her the one thing she cherishes most: her soul.

*Note: this list is in no particular order. Each of these books are a few of my favorites from 2010.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

4 comments:

  1. I love these covers too, especially Halo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful covers, I am a sucker for the hand holding something about that is just so sweet. and Nightshade is incredibly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice picks! I especially love the covers of The Dark Divine, Matched (which I find sort of cute!), Nightshade, Paranormalcy, and Halo. Oh, and Sing Me to Sleep has always made me smile. :)

    I also really loved the cover for Torment by Lauren Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post! Let's see...the first one, definitely. Second...eh, it's okay. Third one is simple but beautiful. Fourth, expected. Fifth, dramatic. Sixth...what can you really say? Love the coloring. Seventh...love it (and a great read too). Eighth...definitely eye catching effect. Ninth...undecided. Tenth...beautiful shade of purple.
    Thanks for the trip down bookish memory lane for 2010...and happy reading in the new year! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love