03 December 2013

Review - Eat, Brains, Love By: Jeff Hart

I use Grammarly's plagiarism checker because Skynet is the future.

Title: Eat, Brains, Love
Author: Jeff Hart
Publisher: HarperTeen, 352 Pages (October 1st 2013)
From: Amazon Vine/the Publisher
Format: ARC
Add to: Goodreads
Order a copy: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, The Book Depository, Amazon UK

Synopsis: Two teenage zombies search for brains, love, and answers in this surprisingly romantic and laugh-out-loud funny debut novel with guts.

Jake Stephens was always an average, fly-under-the-radar guy. The kind of guy who would never catch the attention of an insanely popular girl like Amanda Blake-or a psychic teenage government agent like Cass. But one day during lunch, Jake's whole life changed. He and Amanda suddenly locked eyes across the cafeteria, and at the exact same instant, they turned into zombies and devoured half their senior class.

Now Jake definitely has Amanda's attention-as well as Cass's, since she's been sent on a top-secret mission to hunt them down. As Jake and Amanda deal with the existential guilt of eating their best friends, Cass struggles with a growing psychic dilemma of her own-one that will lead the three of them on an epic journey across the country and make them question what it means to truly be alive. Or undead.

Eat, Brains, Love is a heartwarming and bloody blend of romance, deadpan humor, and suspense that fans of Isaac Marion's Warm Bodies will devour. With its irresistibly dry and authentic teen voice, as well as a zombie apocalypse worthy of AMC's The Walking Dead, this irreverent paperback original will leave readers dying for the sequel that's coming in Summer 2014.

Review: 3 Stars - Eat, Brains, Love by Jeff Hart takes teens to a new level in the form of zombies on the run from an evil government agency, trying to keep them under wraps from the general public. It’s often comical, and when not, is filled with just enough teenage angst as the two characters fight the urge to eat human flesh.

One thing that I enjoyed about this title is that it’s told in alternating points of view between Jake, high school student turned zombie and Cass, a psychic with the top secret agency who are out to keep all zombie outbreaks covered up.

Jake is your run of the mill teenage guy, before and even after becoming a zombie. He’s just your average guy next door except he’s a bit awkward and maybe a bit lazy because his idea of a great weekend is hanging out in his basement playing video games, this after sleeping half the day away. Okay wait, I guess we can all be that way at times, I mean I love being lazy, hanging out in bed reading the day away. So nothing wrong about his idea of fun lol. His inner dialogue was the highlight and without a doubt highly entertaining.

And Jake has a sidekick on his crazy zombie adventure – Amanda. She’s the snarky popular girl who’s beautiful and out of everyone’s league. The girl who’s unapproachable and the conversations between her and Jake had me rolling my eyes one minute and snorting with that kind of half laugh where you want it to be really funny the next. I’m not sure that either of these characters knew what to expect in the other, once they were forced to work together to try to make it out… alive? Dead? Undead? Well, whatever they are… and since they are zombies they want to remain that way while searching for a possible cure.

And Cass…  I wasn’t sure what to think of her. As the story progressed I felt more and more sorry for her rather than the two teens who just turned into zombies. Cass is stuck working for this government agency that is quickly changing the plans on her and she doesn’t know what to do who to trust or how to get out alive let alone try to save Jake and Amanda’s lives too.

So much of the story was predictable hence the 3 star rating and that part really bummed me out. I was also expecting this to be extremely funny and while there were a couple parts that were humorous it failed a bit in that aspect as well.

I liked the characters, I like that it was written in dual points of view so I could see both sides of the story, from the zombie’s aspect and the secret government agency’s side of things. I enjoyed how these characters were teens through and through and Hart didn’t deviate from who these teens are.

All in all the ending of the book did leave me with just enough questions to want to see where things go with the characters and the story which left this reader looking forward to the sequel that I’ll be available summer 2014. Fans of zombies and or highly realistic teens will without a doubt enjoy this one. Enjoy!


Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love