05 December 2013

Review - Daylighters By: Rachel Caine

Title: Daylighters (The Morganville Vampires #15)
Author: Rachel Caine
Publisher: Allison & Busby, 494 pages, November 5th 2013.
From: Bought from Amazon.co.uk
Format: Paperback
Add to: Goodreads
Order a copy: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, The Book Depository, Amazon UK

Synopsis: While Morganville, Texas, is often a troubled town, Claire Danvers and her friends are looking forward to coming home. But the Morganville they return to isn’t the one they know; it’s become a different place—a deadly one…

Something drastic has happened in Morganville while Claire and her friends were away. The town looks cleaner and happier than they’ve ever seen it before, but when their incoming group is arrested and separated—vampires from humans—they realize that the changes definitely aren’t for the better.

It seems that an organization called the Daylight Foundation has offered the population of Morganville something they’ve never had: hope of a vampire-free future. And while it sounds like salvation—even for the vampires themselves—the truth is far more sinister and deadly.

Now, Claire, Shane and Eve need to find a way to break their friends out of Daylighter custody, before the vampires of Morganville meet their untimely end.

Review: 5 stars - Warning- This review contains spoilers for The Morganville Vampires series.

I was eagerly anticipating the release of Daylighters the fifteenth book in the popular Morganville Vampires series. I pre-ordered it but when it arrived I couldn’t bring myself to read it. Claire, Shane, Michael and Eve have been “book friends” of mine for the past 5 years and I didn’t want their story to end.
So after nearly a month of deliberating and glancing at Daylighters on my shelf from the corner of my eye while reading other books I decided to make a start. The beginning of the end.

After returning from Massachusetts; Claire, Eve, Shane and Michael find Morganville in the clutches of the Daylight Foundation. A group who claim to be able to help the human population of Morganville finally have peace from the vampires. It soon becomes apparent that their methods are a bit extreme.
Claire, Eve and Shane realise they must do anything within their power to rescue Michael, Myrnin, Amelie and the rest of the vampire population before things end badly.
Sadly, because I knew it was going to end, I was expecting an ending like this although it didn’t have as much of an impact as I thought it would. This is not a necessarily a bad thing, as the book had many unexpected events throughout it.

Just a quick few words about the lead characters.
I think Claire is a very relatable character. She’s a normal girl who loves science and reading. Because she doesn’t fit in with the crowd at college she’s bullied. I’ve personally been in the same situation I think this is why I like Claire so much. She’s not your typical female lead character, but at the same time, she has the strength to pursue things that most people would either be too scared to try or that they would give up with when the going got tough.
Claire’s fellow Glass House resident and Morganville’s number one goth girl. Eve is a bit “out there” and rebellious; but at the same time she’s a caring friend and like an older sister to Claire. Teaching her in the ways of Morganville.
The kind of goofy yet hot; food and computer game loving, vampire hating Shane is just perfect for Claire. He had an unhappy upbringing, so when he met Claire, things finally starting going right for him apart from the usual Morganville chaos. Claire and Shane are quite possibly one of my favourite book couples; who despite having had their problems seem to be on the right track.
The final Glass House resident Michael; who is basically described as my perfect guy- a musician with blonde hair and piercing blue eyes. I love that all that time ago back in Glass Houses he let a bruised and scared Claire stay for a few nights despite his initial reluctance. The rest as they say is history. Despite the many troubles Michael has gone through he has always stood by Claire and been a good friend to her.

I won’t go on with my character praise any longer because I think any reader needs to meet and imagine the residents of Morganville themselves. One last mention does go to my favourite outrageously dressed mad scientist Myrnin. I will miss him and his vampire bunny slippers greatly.

When the world was taken by storm by the vampire craze Morganville was there for me to fall in love with. The characters, the setting, the adventures of the Glass House residents all provided the base for a brilliant series.
Daylighters is as with every Morganville Vampires book; well written and enjoyable to read.
I highly recommend Daylighters. Although I did shed tears and at times I shouted violently at the book (I get very involved with these books), so I advise everyone to have tissues at the ready just in case.

Suggested read if you like House of Night series by P.C. Cast, Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead and Evernight series by Claudia Gray.


Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love