06 December 2013


Title: Before We Fall (Beautifully Broken #3)
Author: Courtney Cole
Publisher: Forever, 336 Pages (December 3rd, 2013)
Add to: Goodreads
Order here: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, The Book Depository, Amazon UK


NOTE: This is a "New Adult" novel. Due to mature content this title is recommended for ages 17+
Synopsis: Sometimes, one dark moment is all it takes to turn your world black...

For 24-year old Dominic Kinkaide, that moment took place on the night of his high school graduation. One dark incident changed him forever. He's a hardened actor now, famous in the eyes of the world, but tortured in his own. He doesn't care about much of anything, except for losing himself in the roles that he plays.

23-year old Jacey Vincent doesn't realize how much her father's indifference has affected her. She is proof that sometimes it isn't one specific moment that wrecks a person, but rather it's an absence of moments. She's like a bird with a broken wing-strong yet fragile, as she tries to float through life, finding acceptance in the arms of random guys, one after the other... to fill the void that her father left in her.

Until she meets Dominic.

After jaded Dominic and strong-willed Jacey are thrown together, his secret and her issues create a dark and damaged energy that will soon turn their attraction to each other into an explosive storm.

Even though when the clouds have cleared and the dust has settled, both of them are almost obliterated... they've learned a priceless lesson.
Sometimes, before we fall... we fly.

Review: 4 StarsBefore We Fall is the third title in author Courtney Coles Beautifully Broken series. Each title follows some broken boys and let me tell you, in this installment, Dominic doesn’t disappoint!

I have read and loved the previous two installments in this series, which by the way you don’t need to read in order, however it is helpful because many of the characters lives intertwine with each other and they do continue to interact from one book to the next. And this title does just that with characters from the previous books. It’s always so much fun having a chance to see characters I’ve enjoyed from the past and where they are now and I think that Cole does a great job carrying them over and making some key characters in this title.

We do have a new male lead and that would be Dominic Kinkaide. He’s a huge Hollywood star and broken to a heart wrenching degree. He has some serious guilt and goes about his life in as much of the shadows he can. He’s comes to think he only deserves things in his life, including the people around him a certain way. He see’s everyone as wanting a piece of him, as fake and that everyone lies. To say he’s jaded by his current life and his past would be an understatement.

Cole has written a novella – Until We Burn – for this character which I did read prior to reading Before We Fall and while it’s not needed to read this title it did give me so much of a better idea just how Dominic is right now, or should I say before his story began. I think I appreciated the novella even more after finishing this title too.

Jacey is a character we’ve met in the previous two books. She’s always choosing the wrong guy and in the last book she paid a huge price for her wrong choices. She’s trying to deal with that, among other things including her brother moving away for work. She leans on her brother’s best friend Brand for support when she gets into trouble which looks to happen often. And again when she meets Dominic she’s found herself again at the wrong place, wrong time.

Dominic and Jacey are both drawn and attracted to each other. Dominic see’s something in her he thinks doesn’t exist anymore and that’s a person who’s not out for a piece of him, someone honest and someone who isn’t fake. He hasn’t allowed himself to even think of the possibilities of someone good in so long and he’s been hiding in the dark corners forever he’s not sure how to take her.

And Jacey who’s always been out to rescue someone see’s he just might need her, whether it’s good for her or not she chooses to take a chance.

So much of this story was a train wreck waiting to happen. Not from the writing or the story but from the actions of these damaged characters that are wading into unfamiliar territory.

Cole knows her way around a bad, bad trouble boy and she doesn’t skimp on anything with it comes to Dominic. I was shocked, heartbroken, mad and frustrated so many times! Then Cole would come in with some soothing words for her characters and the reader that I could feel a peace again for how the story was progressing. This was something I felt for Pax in the first title – If You Stay. I have to commend Cole for her mad bad boy skills because it’s this and her writing that keeps me coming back for more.

In the end I loved it! It’s emotional and a bit dark but the lighter moments are clear and bright and it’s the mix of the light and the dark that make this a fantastic read. I highly recommend this series for all lovers of bad trouble boys and New Adult titles. These contemporary stories shouldn’t be missed. Enjoy!







About Courtney Cole:

Courtney Cole is a novelist who would eat mythology for breakfast if she could. She has a degree in Business, but has since discovered that corporate America is not nearly as fun to live in as fictional worlds. She loves chocolate and roller coasters and hates waiting and rude people.

Courtney lives in quiet suburbia, close to Lake Michigan, with her real-life Prince Charming, her ornery kids (there is a small chance that they get their orneriness from their mother) and a small domestic zoo.


Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

1 comment:

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love