08 May 2012

Title: Starters (Starters, #1)
Author: Lissa Price
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers, 368 Pages (March 13th, 2012)
From: the Publisher, via Amazon Vine
Format: ARC
Add to: Goodreads

Synopsis: HER WORLD IS CHANGED FOREVER

Callie lost her parents when the Spore Wars wiped out everyone between the ages of twenty and sixty. She and her little brother, Tyler, go on the run, living as squatters with their friend Michael and fighting off renegades who would kill them for a cookie. Callie's only hope is Prime Destinations, a disturbing place in Beverly Hills run by a mysterious figure known as the Old Man.

He hires teens to rent their bodies to Enders—seniors who want to be young again. Callie, desperate for the money that will keep her, Tyler, and Michael alive, agrees to be a donor. But the neurochip they place in Callie's head malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, and going out with a senator's grandson. It feels almost like a fairy tale, until Callie discovers that her renter intends to do more than party—and that Prime Destinations' plans are more evil than Callie could ever have imagined. . . .


Review: 4 Stars - Starters By: Lissa Price was a book that you can’t seem to turn the pages fast enough. With a evil mastermind behind an evil company and one teen girl trapped in more ways than one, Price takes her readers on one harrowing journey.

Callie, her younger brother Tyler and their friend Michael have all lost their parents after a war/illness took everyone away from them. Life is different now and the younger generation is living a strained life on the streets. Squatting in abandoned buildings, scavenging for food and fighting to survive is what these three; among a huge part of the population know as day to day life. He brother Tyler is sick and she knows he needs more than she can provide for him in if they are all going to make it.

The younger generations in Prince’s story are called Starters and the older generations, who now are able to live well past the age of 100, are called Enders. With laws and rules vastly altered after the Spore War happened, Enders have every right to keep their jobs while the Starters are forced to live a pretty horrible life. For Callie, Tyler and Michael it’s all about staying out of the Institutions where the non claimed minors are housed under lock and key if they are caught.

With the stress of her brothers well being on her mind and an understanding of them needing more, Callie takes a visit to Prime Destinations. See, this is where the story gets pretty creepy and gets even creepier the more you read. Prime takes teens, cleans them up… as in makes them flawless and lets Enders rent out their bodies. Ew, right? Basically, they are implanted with a chip in their brain, hooked up to a machine that puts the Enders personality, mind, thoughts, actions and memories into the Starter they’ve rented and the Starters just go to sleep. In case you’re thinking what I was, there are rules that each party must abide by, but how is it possible to prove none of those rules have been violated?

I was more than creeped out by this book. Just the thoughts alone that ran through my mind over all the possibilities that could go wrong… and then even more when things did go wrong… wow, Prince has an imagination that took me places I never thought I’d imagine!

With a creepy idea, creepy company there was bound to be a creepy master mind behind this craziness and there was. He goes by the name of the Old Man and let me tell you, just when you think that Prince couldn’t find another way to make your skin crawl… she nailed it with this character. I had a nightmare about this guy and let me tell you, he wasn’t any nicer in my dream than he was in the pages of this book.

I loved the characters. I did wonder why Callie did some of the things she did, but when it comes to family and those you love it changes a person and everyone will always go above and beyond when it comes right down to it. She did what she had to do and then even more in order to survive.

I thoroughly enjoyed the mysterious side of things as well. You never knew who was in who’s body and who might be dangerous and what Callie might be forced to do next. She’s one tough teen girl with some smarts that’s for sure.

By the end of the book I was still cringing because of how high Prince took us on the creep factor scale. I couldn’t believe all that had happened and how things were left for poor Callie. I have a feeling that Prince has more of the creepiness up her sleeve in the next installment that I am looking forward to… nightmares and all.

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love