14 May 2012

Review: First Comes Love By: Katie Kacvinsky

Title: First Comes Love
Author: Katie Kacvinsky
Publisher: Houghton Millon Harcourt, 198 Pages (May 8th, 2012)
From: the Publisher via Amazon Vine
Format: ARC
Add to: Goodreads

Synopsis: Like his name, Gray is dark and stormy. Dylan, a girl always searching for what's next, seemingly unable to settle down, is the exact opposite: full of light and life. On the outside, they seem like an unlikely couple. But looks can be deceiving and besides, opposites attract.

What starts as friendship, turns into admiration, respect and caring, until finally these two lone souls find they are truly in love with each other.

But staying in love is not as easy as falling in love. If Dylan and Gray want their love to last, they're going to have to work at it. And learn that sometimes love means having to say you're sorry.


Review: 5 Stars - First Comes Love By: Karen Kacvinsky was a welcomed surprise. With a rich story and brilliant characters, there’s so much to love about this small book with the beautiful, yet swoon-worthy cover.

Gray and Dylan couldn’t be more different from one another. Yet the unlikely relationship they form, feels natural. While Gray is closed off and would rather be alone, Dylan is bright, outgoing and doesn’t live her life caring what anyone else might think. She’s extremely comfortable in her own skin. I was thrilled to read a story about a female character with such a strength in whom she is and where she wants to be.

Through their friendship, both characters learn and grow and Gray slowly begins to find some peace to heal from a tragedy in his past. It’s because of Dylan that we find out who Gray is behind his solitary behavior. With each learning some valuable life lessons from the other, it’s through the eyes of each of these teens that we see their budding relationship evolve and soon find themselves falling in love. The progression was a nice easy pace and was a pleasure to read and follow along as they first found a friendship that neither saw coming.

Their story might have changed each of them in many ways, but the love the two found changed them both the most. Gray and Dylan were heartwarming characters and their story was such a surprise that I didn’t want to put the book down because I couldn’t wait to see what was going to happen next.

Kacvinsky’s writing and alternating points of view scored huge points for me. The writing was extremely well done, giving the reader a view of her characters that makes you feel like you are watching a movie vs.  reading a book. And I’m always one who has huge love for an alternating point of view. That alone in a book gives readers a broader vision in understanding the characters and their depth. It gives the reader more emotion, more facts and a chance for a different perspective. And Kacvinsky does a thorough job in her sophomore title. I would highly suggest this title to anyone who loves a fantastically well written contemporary stand alone title with characters that are hard to forget.

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this review. I was just checking this title out on amazon, but I was on the fence about whether it was something that I'd like or not. Your review convinced me to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, great love story and beautifully written.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this book as well. I'm always iffy on alternating points of view in books but I really liked this one. :)

    Jenny @ Books to the Sky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! I didn't really have my eye on this one, but you really talked it up! There are simply not enough strong heroines who are just comfortable with whom they are. This sounds like a contemporary novel not to be missed. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful review! I really want to read this one and I love that it's from alternating POV. I'm a big fan of that as well :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love