03 July 2011

Title: Firelight (Firelight, #1)
Author: Sophie Jordan
Publisher: HarperTeen, 323 Pages (September 7th 2010)
From: the Publisher, Thank You!

Synopsis: A hidden truth.
Mortal enemies.
Doomed love.

Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki—a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.

Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.

Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.

Review: 4.5 Stars - Firelight, the first in a series from author Sophie Jordan is filled with greatness – great characters, great plot and great writing. I found myself immersed in the pages as Jordans unique idea became clear to picture as a new supernatural creature evolved before my eyes.

Jacinda comes from a rare race of people called the Draki. Not fully human and not filly dragon, able to change between the two halves. She’s even rarer as each Draki has a set of abilities making some more valuable than others. She’s a breed that hasn’t been around for a long time – a fire breather – which the pride that she lives in and calls home has plans for in the future.

Jacinda is one tough teenage girl who’s promised to the Prince of the Draki, Cassian. She has no idea just what the elders of her race have in store for her, and once things take a turn for the worse, her mother packs her and her sister and moves them to the desert where she hopes they won’t be found and to try to force Jacinda into a normal life, away from the Draki.

While I loved Jacinda and her strength and her fighting instincts while she tries to find a way out of the corner she’s put in, her mother and her sister were a huge thorn in my side. I understood why her mother moved them, but forcing Jacinda to go down the same path as she did frustrated me just about as much as it frustrated Jacinda. And her sister! Don’t even get me started.

The initial meeting between Jacinda and Will was thrilling, fast paced and unexpected. Their relationship is one that’s doomed from the beginning. When they cross paths again she doesn’t know what to do, just that she’s drawn to him when she shouldn’t be. Will and his family are hunters of the Draki and while he doesn’t’ know what she really is, she knows what Will and his family are capable of. I more than loved the interaction between the two and the push and pull of their relationship because of who they both were. When Will finds out he has two options and its right then at that moment he becomes the person he’s suppose to be and not the one he was born into.

Of coarse it wouldn’t be a true review of this title without more mention of Cassian. Cassian, oh… can I please have some more? Lol While I didn’t agree with his actions, he has many redeeming qualities (or does he?) that come through blindly by the end (or does it?). However, it still leaves me questioning if is a good guy or a bad guy. The verdict is still out on him.

The short chapters, amazing story and characters, the ending, the romance… the mythology, all wrapped together, making Firelight a perfect addition to paranormal YA titles. I’m more than looking forward to the next book – Vanish – to see what happens next for Jacinda, Will and all the people around them.

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review. **Note - I did also purchased a finished copy of this title.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

7 comments:

  1. I still haven't read this one. I've been going back and forth. This author was at the big RWA signing last week and I could have gotten her book, but I didn't :( Darn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dragons, and firebreathers makes me kind of wary of this book, but after seeing so many positive reviews I think i'm going to have to get it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review! I've been looking forward to reading this, even though there's been mixed reviews.

    Hope you liking Fury. That's what I plan to read right after the Caster Chronicles ;)

    Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review! I still haven't read this but I really should soon and I love the idea of the Draki race.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book looks amazing!! I can't wait to read it, thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got to read this before Vanish comes out!

    ~Alyssa
    Teens Read and Write

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love