18 July 2011

Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books, 487 Pages (May 3rd 2011)
From: the Publisher, Thank You!

Synopsis: In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Review: 5 Stars - Divergent by Veronica Roth is hands down the best book I've read so far in 2011. It’s thrilling and unique with an amazing story that will suck the reader in and leave you gripped until the very last page, leaving you begging for more. Roth is without a doubt an amazing new talent within the young adult community and Divergent is the must read book of the year.

Divergent is told from the voice of the female lead character – Beatrice, who lives in a divided society. People are born into one of five fractions – Candor (honest), Abnegation (selfless), Dauntless (brave), Amity (peaceful) and Erudite (intelligent). Beatrice happens to be Abnegation and in a world when you become 16, you are tested and must finally select where you will live for the rest of your life. Stay where you are or become who you feel you’re really, truly meant to be. However, once you choose there’s no going back. If you choose a fraction that’s not what you were raised in, you give up that life and your family forever.

Beatrice or Tris as she calls herself is such an incredible character. I couldn't imagine going through many of things she does, or if I’d have the strength or guts to do even half of the things she came to do. I liked how she was loyal and challenged herself and her beliefs and went after what she felt and knew was the right thing to do. A huge part of the strength she finds in herself comes from the friends she meets and the impact that they have on each others lives. She learns that maybe all isn't as it seems and that somehow, someone needs to make a stand.

It was easy to put myself right into the middle of things in this book. I felt that I was a fly on the wall amid Roth’s dystopian Chicago. Her amazing descriptive writing flowed seamlessly and I found myself quickly becoming emotionally invested and attached to her characters. With the turn of the last page I was extremely tempted to begin from page one all over again and read it straight through, back to back! Everything about this book sticks with you for hours, days, weeks and months after reading, and trust me that’s far from a bad thing.

Divergent is in one word amazing!! If I’m being totally truthful here, amazing doesn't even cover it. It’s epic, it’s a must read and I’ll be pushing this title on others until they pick it up and read it! Roth has it all in this title and then some. With characters you can’t help but become attached to, a story that’ll have you gripping the edge of your seat, a fascinating new take on the dystopian genre, descriptive settings you’ll find yourself sitting right in the middle of, with ease and a romance that’s smoldering hot… I mean what are you waiting for? Seriously, what are you waiting for, go pick it up now, you won’t be disappointed in the slightest, promise. And with that, I’ll be sitting with bated breath for the continuing story in the next book within the Divergent series – Insurgent – May 2012. Enjoy!

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

10 comments:

  1. Great review! I have this one but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I'll definitely have to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen Divergent all over the blogging community and I'm glad to hear it's worth all the attention it's getting. I really have to buy a copy, it sounds so good! Glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really looking forward to getting the chance to read this book. I keep hearing such awesome things about it, and I tend to love dystopias, so I can't imagine me finding it bad! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree -- definitely one of my favorites of 2011. Tris is a fabulous character and Chicago as a dystopia totally comes alive in Roth's hands. Great review!
    Mary @ Book Swarm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review!!!! Some people have been raving about this so I can't wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really liked the review. Hubby has to read a lot of YA for his SecEd English classes and I usually read them when he is done. We will be moving on to this new series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this one and I know I NEED to read and I really WANT to read, I just need to find time to fit it in. Soon, hopefully very soon. And it's your favorite book of the year so far? I really need to read this one soon now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have been meaning to buy it, will definitely have to now after reading your review.

    New follower via GFC
    Kristen @ BetweenTheLines -WithK

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love