28 February 2011

Guest Post - Julie from My 5 Monkeys

While Lisa is out I wanted to talk about young adult novels and boarding schools and Parents because this seems to be a pet peeve of mine. It has grown slowly over reading many young adult books.

This seems to be a trend now with some of the books out there and many of them are paranormal issues in which a young girl has just realized something or her parents send her to a boarding school to learn more about her powers. Some examples are Fallen by Lauren Kate , Dark Elite by Chloe Neill , and Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins. Another example is Simone Elkeles, Rules of Attraction.

I think that the Boarding school has to work with the story , and make sense. I think the best example of this Hex Hall. As coming as a mom, I feel that the relationships between the mom and child are short changed with the child being at Boarding school.

I understand that this is fiction , and that kids need to escape from life. I see that parents in young adult novels are non-exisistant or they help move the plot along like in Shiver/Linger.

I wanted to make an observation that goes along with the topic of parents, and schooling. Have you ever seen Hannah Montana or That’s so Raven ?? I have many times and the parents in these shows are funny , and move the plot along , and always at the end give good advice. These TV parents are really parenting the kids, and the parents are dumbed down.

I’m a parent and proud of my job in raising my 5 kids. Not everyone has money to send their kids to boarding school, but if its going to be used in plot, Please make the parent responsible and competent. Does anyone else have issues with Parents in books or Boarding schools ?? Am I the only one who feels this way ??

Thanks Lisa for having me here.

Julie, Thanks so much for taking the time to writing this guest post for me to share while I'm recovering. I really appreciate you doing this for me and reading and sharing your take on parents and boarding schools in books.






Find Julie Online:

Blog | Twitter | Goodreads

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

5 comments:

  1. I gave you the One Lovely Blog award. Hop on over to my blog to get it =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as far as the parents issue. Most of the boarding school based books shove the parents out of the way and that's that. However there are some where the parents are still around even if the kids are "away" at school. Like in Harry Potter - now Harry's Aunt and Uncle were not really around much, and in Vampire Academy - her parents showed up a lot towards the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I feel that the relationships between the mom and child are short changed with the child being at Boarding school."

    Exactly. This is my biggest problem with "boarding school" books as well. Especially since I feel that a lot of authors use the boarding school as a crutch of a plot device to get the parents out of the picture, so they can focus on their teenage character without having to worry about how the parents factor in. It's an interesting observation. Great guest post, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Other than Harry Potter, I haven't yet read a boarding-school book. I know (I've heard) they're all in vogue now, but I have yet to actually read one. In developing my own story, I can definitely see the appeal. You want the kids to be independent and learning things on their own, but you don't want to make them all orphans. And what responsible parent would let their kids go off and risk their lives!?

    Well, if you need a quality example of parenting in dire circumstances, I'll point you toward Diane Duane's Young Wizards series. The parents find out/are informed that their children are wizards in book 2, and though they often feel uncomfortable and powerless with the fate of the world/universe on their son/daughter's shoulders, they give what support they can when they can. They're not dumbed down at all, and they handle everything realistically (well, as realistically as can be expected). In my opinion, they definitely deserve the Awesome Literary Parents Award.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I haven't read too many boarding school books, but I kind of hate absentee parents in books. Sometimes I feel like it's a cop-out to do away with the parents by having them work all the time or just be completely oblivious to the craziness surrounding their child. It's rare to actually read a YA story with parent(s) that are involved and I'd love to see more of that.

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love