12 April 2010

Title: The Light - Morpheus Road (Book 1)
Author: D.J. MacHale
Publisher: Aladdin, 352 Pages (April 20, 2010)
From: The Pubisher

Synopsis: Marshall Seaver is being haunted. In the first installment of this chillingly compelling trilogy, sixteen-year-old Marshall discovers that something beyond our world is after him. The eerie clues pile up quickly, and when people start dying, it’s clear whatever this isit’s huge.

Marshall has no idea what’s happening to him, but he’s soon convinced that it has something to do with his best friend Cooper, who’s been missing for over a week. Together with Coop’s sister, Marsh searches for the truth about what happened to his friend, ultimately uncovering something bigger than he could ever have imagined.

Review: 4 Stars - When I first started reading this book I soon learned that I wouldn't be reading it in the dark. It had such a high creep factor for me that I almost didn't pick it back up again. What can I say; this book was scary and well… I'm a big chicken. lol I did in the end finish it... and was a little bit confused while reading, but I liked the story and the build up for what's to come in the rest of the series.

Our main character Marshall finds himself being haunted by a character he's dreamed up in his head. It's this character that adds the creepy factor to this book. I mean even his name – Gravedigger wouldn’t give anyone the warm and fuzzies. While Marshall thinks he's going crazy and well, running for his life - he finds himself in a much bigger mystery when his best friend Cooper goes missing.

With the help of Coopers icy sister Sydney, who somewhat thaws throughout the story they embark on a journey that really the two of them only know about. Yeah, there are other's who are swept up into the story and have trouble due to Gravedigger and all, but really it's Marshall and Sydney who are deeper into things then they want to be.

It's a thrilling book that had a bunch of twists and turns. It answered some of the many questions I had from the beginning, but left me asking more questions after finishing.

Sometimes I felt the story was a bit long and that maybe there was just a bit too much going on. Sometimes we see that in first books in a series, so it wasn't anything that I wasn't really use to. I mean we all need some back story to our characters and some details and explanations and such, right? I can see how this might put some people off, especially because it’s a long read and for those who are about to start reading this one or have picked it up and put it back down again…. Give it another try. I mean I thought it was worth it. Not to mention MacHale does well in describing things. Often I felt like I was watching a movie more so then reading a book.

All in all, I'm glad that I pushed through and finished this one, creep factor and all. There's a bigger picture here behind all that's going on and I'm looking forward to finding out just what's next for Marshall, Sydney and Cooper in the books to come.

Check out the books Trailer here:



FTC Disclaimer: I did not pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

2 comments:

  1. Fab review! I can not wait for this one to get released! I love a good scary story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohhh this sounds good. Its been 8 years since a book made me sleep with the lights on. I've been looking for one ever since. maybe this will seal the deal.

    I would have never guess that the protag is only 16 based on the cover.
    So thanks for reviewing it.

    I am joining you contest too.

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love