18 April 2012

Review: Unbreakable Love By: Angela Carling

Title: Unbreakable Love
Author: Angela Carling
Publisher: Acacia Publishing, (January 1st, 2011)
From: The Publisher
Format: Paperback
Add to: Goodreads

Synopsis: Jennie Townsend is unlucky in love, so she is immediately suspicious when a mysterious new student named Nate tries to gain her friendship. But there is something special about Nate, and in spite of her best efforts Jennie finds her feelings for the boy growing deeper every day.

In fact, Nate is more special than Jennie can even imagine. He is a guardian angel, sent to protect Jennie during a most dangerous time in her life. To do so, he must first become close to her – but not too close. The rules for Protectors warn against physical contact and strictly forbid falling in love. But the more time Nate spends with Jennie, the harder the rules are to follow. Will Nate be able to save Jennie from a premature end, or will his own emotions – and Jennie's – get in the way of completing the task for which he was specifically chosen?

With Unbreakable Love, Angela Carling has created a captivating story for young adult readers, with a refreshing twist on relationship issues. It is an ode to the magical power of true love, a tribute to belief in a benevolent higher power that watches over us and surrounds us every day of our lives.

Review: 3 Stars - Unbreakable Love by Angela Carling is a story about fate, guardian angels and rules. It’s about the choices a human girl will face and about the choices a guardian angel might make when it comes to his charge.

Jennie is a pretty normal teenage girl. Nate is her guardian angel set out to help her along with life and anything that might come up. Knowing the path she’s walking helps Nate throughout his task of keeping Jennie alive to fulfill the future she’s meant to fulfill. Jennie often doesn’t make Nate’s life easy as the two become friends. She continually makes it harder and harder for Nate to follow his guardian angel rules.

Jennie was a character who I thought was okay. I felt she was a teen through and through with her thoughts and actions. She has some issues with a past relationship that she often compared things and people to when making choices in the present or in her future. Then in others she felt somewhat petty with some of her actions that I just didn’t understand how quickly she managed to do some things. There was that whiplash feeling once or twice and that was a huge part in my question just how much I liked this character.

As for Nate, he’s the shining star of the book. In many ways he’s the opposite of Jennie. He’s calm and thoughtful. He’s caring and goes out of his way to befriend Jennie. Yes, he may be tasked as her guardian angel, but his caring for her was more than a job and you could see through his actions he was being pulled into two directions - his duty and his emotions. His part within the story saved this book for me. He made me feel that calming affect when I needed it most while reading. I seriously loved Nate.

While I did enjoy this title there were part of it that I felt were lacking. Sometimes the writing felt a bit simple and the story itself didn’t really grip me as much as I would have liked it to. The push and the pull of Jennie and Nate’s relationship grew a bit old and stale and yet other times it was fluid and a joy to read. It’s almost as if more than one person has written this book or the book needs a bit more polishing to make it and the characters rounder, fuller.

All in all, it might not be my favorite book, but it was far from bad. There were issues that I found while reading, but I found enough that I was able to give this title 3 stars. I suggest this title to anyone who is looking for a quick, light story about angels and love, you won’t be disappointed. Enjoy!

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

1 comment:

  1. Great review this sounds pretty interesting even though it didn't blow your mind. Sometimes a light, simple writing style is just what I need. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love