21 June 2011

Review: Trauma Queen By: Barbara Dee

"Just Picked" is a feature here at A Life Bound By Books. This is a place where I'll be spotlighting new (and old) childrens book or picture books for parents and new readers. It's a place to talk about books for a younger group and to try to help create a new generation of readers.


Title: Trauma Queen
Author: Barbara Dee
Publisher: Aladdin, 272 Pages (April 19th 2011)
From: the Publisher, Thank You!

Synopsis: Every tween girl knows what it's like to have a mom who can be a little embarrasing at times. But for Marigold, it goes way beyond embarrassing. Marigold's single mom is a performance artist, meaning she stages dramatic, wacky performances to express her personal beliefs. Things like wrapping herself in saran wrap for a piece on plastic surgery, or inviting people over in the middle of the night to videotape her sleeping. In fact, Marigold's mom's performances caused such a ruckus in their last town that the two of them, along with Marigold's little sister, have just had to move. Now Marigold's starting a new school, missing her best friend like crazy, and trying to fit in all over again in the shadow of a mom who's famous for all the wrong reasons. As if that's not bad enough, Marigold's mom takes on a new job--teaching drama at Marigold's school! Now all the kids know instantly just how weird her mom is, and Marigold's worried she'll never be able to have a friendship that can survive her mother.

Review: 3 Stars - Middle grade title – Trauma Queen by Barbara Dee was a cute story about a tween girl growing up extremely embarrassed by her mother – shocking right? Being embarrassed by your parents is something most everyone can relate to; even as we get older they can still manage to find a way to make us cringe. If you ask me, I think it’s in their DNA. For Marigold she doesn't think she’ll ever have a normal teen life. Her mom is a performance artist and does things such as wrapping herself in saran wrap for a piece on plastic surgery.

Marigold is more than hurt when her moms dramatic performances hit close to home and affect her relationship with her best friend. It’s so bad that her mother moves them away.

Being a teen girl is rough and Marigold goes through a lot in a short period of time. Moving away from her best friend, starting a new school while trying to keep everyone from finding out about her moms art, just to name a few things.

Marigold has lessons to learn at both home and from the new friends she makes. Dee was able to express and portray the feelings and issues of being a teen pretty spot on. It was easy to see through Mari’s eyes, while dealing with the crazy things life threw at her.

Her grandmother was just as a grandmother should be. She listened, was supportive, explained things in ways Mari’s mother couldn’t and talked about the past to give Mari a better understanding of just who her mother was. Mari’s little sister had her own wacky side – she liked to “Prairie Speak”. Yes, you read that correctly. I had to smile each time her little sister talked. It’s just something you weren’t expecting but became endeared to.

Dee made Marigold likeable and easy to relate to as we were a fly on the wall to Mari as she grew and changed from the first page to the last. If you ask me, the ending was perfect. I haven’t read many middle grade books, but this one was a quick read that flew by, with great characters, an entertaining and sometimes off the wall story.

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love