10 June 2011

Title: Blood Magic (Blood Magic Journals, #1)
Author: Tessa Gratton
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers, 405 Pages (May 24th 2011)
From: the Publisher and the Amazon Vine Program, Thank You!

Synopsis: This page-turning debut novel will entice fans who like their paranormal romances dark and disturbing. It's a natural next-read for fans of Stephanie Meyer, Carrie Jones, and Becca Fitzpatrick. But instead of mythical creatures, blood magic has everything to do with primal human desires like power, wealth, and immortality.

Everywhere Silla Kennicott turns she sees blood. She can't stop thinking about her parents alleged murder-suicide. She is consumed by a book filled with spells that arrives mysteriously in the mail. The spells share one common ingredient: blood, and Silla is more than willing to cast a few. What's a little spilled blood if she can uncover the truth? And then there's Nick—the new guy at school who makes her pulse race. He has a few secrets of his own and is all too familiar with the lure of blood magic. Drawn together by a combination of fate and chemistry, Silla and Nick must find out who else in their small Missouri town knows their secret and will do anything to take the book and magic from Silla.

Review: 4.5 Stars - Debut author Tessa Gratton’ first book in the Blood Journals series – Blood Magic, was so much more than I thought it would be and then some! With a thrilling story and extremely likeable characters, it was easy to see just how much they made me love this book! It was apparent from the first few pages. Blood Magic is one of those books I could have easily read in one sitting, so make sure you have time to devour this title whole.

Told from three different perspectives, two main characters and a journal, moving between the three voices gave not only insight, but back story. The back story revealed snippets to the past to further explain things as the story progresses. I loved how the pieces of the story from the journal fit into the present and continued right through to the end, letting us learn what was happening just as the characters did. I’m a huge fan of multiple points of view, so it was an added bonus.

Speaking of characters, let’s talk about them for a few. First off we have Silla, she’s been through a lot and is coping as best as she can. With Gratton’s writing it made it easy to feel what her characters were feeling, and I found I could better relate to what each was going through. Silla’s strong, caring and is trying to understand many different things in her life when she’s been mailed a book from a stranger that just happens to have belonged to her father. Mystery, magic and blood surround her and her family and tie her to past she could have never imagined existed.

Then we have Nick… he’s the new guy who lives next door to Silla. Well, with the woods and a cemetery between them. Nick is a city guy now living out in the sticks and is just trying to make it to graduation day so he can get away and move on. He has some issues as well so when Nick and Silly meet, the attraction is inevitable and maybe even has a bit of fate involved. While their relationship might have come on fast, there were things that happened up until the very end that somewhat explained this instant rapport.

I have to admit that for me, it was easy to speculate who was the evil doer, but there was enough in the rest of the story that I wasn’t too bothered in knowing who was who.

There was also a bit of a creep factor to the book, and one scene was hard to read. I didn’t agree with the scene, but felt more like it was there to prove a point, at least to me the point was made and I think it was made to the character involved as well.

Over all Gratton is a new shining star in the YA genre and an author I am excited to read more of in the future. If you’re looking for a great new author, fresh voice, entertaining story and characters be sure to pick up this one when you’re at your local book store or when you’re placing your next online order. You won’t be disappointed. Now, where’s the next book?

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

10 comments:

  1. At first glance, this one didn't really interest me but your review makes me want to check it out. I don't normally like instant love but if it is explained well enough, I can be okay with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that awesome review! I especially liked your description of the narrative structure (I'm a sucker for non-conventional structures), and your warning about the creepy scene has me both intrigued and anxious. This was on my TBR list before, but I think it just got bumped up the list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing review! I heard about this awhile back and decided to give it a try! Especially since it's in a fictional Missouri town! It's in the mail system somewhere and should hopefully arrive today even!! Thanks for the review!


    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower
    Jessica@a GREAT read

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great review I have been back and forth on getting this one but after all the great reviews I'll have to order a copy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds creepy and unique! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful blog. Love your button. Come visit me. New follower. Will definitely be back here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, this does look interesting. Great review, and thanks for sharing! Definitely have to pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so happy to read this review. I allllmost bought this the other night at the bookstore, then held off b/c I read so many negative reviews. Your review definitely makes me want to check it out! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blood Magic has been on my wishlist since I first heard about it and I cannot wait to pick it up. It sounds so different and dark, compared to a lot of the other books I've read and I love that. I'm also a fan of multiple points of view, so seeing things from both Nick and Silla's POV is something I'll enjoy. Great review, Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am thinking about buy it!
    I like so much the review and synopsis.
    Thanks for the information and congrats for the book! I trust in your point of view ^^

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love