13 June 2011

Review: Hourglass By: Myra McEntire

Title: Hourglass
Author: Myra McEntire
Publisher: Egmont, 397 Pages (June 14th 2011)
From: the Publisher, Thank You!

Synopsis: One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Review: 5 Stars - Hourglass from author Myra McEntire is in one word – AMAZING! With exquisite writing and characters, McEntire is one of the newest rock stars to join the others within the ranks of the Young Adult genre. How can I sum up my love for this book?… I’ll try but I highly doubt my words will even touch the surface of my love for this book or will even comes close to what McEntire has done with her words.

Life for seventeen year old Emerson hasn’t been easy. She sees things that no one else can see, people from the past, ghosts from another time, which all started right after her parent’s death. She lives with her loving, caring brother and his wife who are concerned about these visions – as any one would be - and as a result her overall health. I was quickly drawn to Emerson and wanted to know – just as she does – the reasons behind why she can’t stop seeing people and places from a different time. She’s extremely caring and has a strength about her that made me in turn care about her as a character. Her strength makes her one of those characters that shows just how much she can hold her own and won’t take being pushed around. She has her fair share of great lines throughout the book – many moments that I ended up with a huge smile plastered on my face and even a few moments where I laughed out loud. And really, it’s all part of what makes a great book even better.

Her brother Thomas and his wife Dru only want the best for her and while they don’t understand what she’s going through, they try hard to find a way to help Emerson. Through many different people who have said they could help, she’s ready to give up. Her relationship with her brother and sister in law was close in many ways, yet distant in others. They each wanted to protect the other, as families do, but this one had more to loose due to all that had happened to them in the past with the death of their parents.

When Emerson’s brother comes to her with something else to try that could just help her, she’s against it. She’s tired and burned out on all the false hope. I mean I would be too if I was in her shoes, that’s when Michael, from the Hourglass institute walks into her life. He’s mysterious and gives us little to go by as to really who he is, but I can say he turns out to be an amazing male character.

While reading the book we chipped away at both Emerson and Michael to get to the root of who they really are. It was through their relationship – professional that it was, as the rules were laid out by Thomas – we find out more than just who they are, but also the what and the why of all Emerson’s visions. Michael might be a little older by a couple of years but nonetheless, the attraction is there. It’s one of those attractions that smolders and lingers, that you just wait with bated breath to catch fire and set off into a massive blaze. Darn those rules set by her brother!

There are tons of twists and turns throughout, it’s more than a rollercoaster ride that’s for sure! I can honestly say that I had no idea what was about to happen numerous times. I was shocked and10rilled over and over again and was always looking for the next helping after each chapter.

It’s easy to fall head over heals in love with this book, not to mention the characters. I did and still find myself thinking about the world McEntire has shared with us and of time travel. Without a doubt, this is a new favorite of mine that I’ll be able to read over and over again and look forward to more in not only this series but truly anything that this author writes, I’ll read it. If you are looking for amazing wrapped in nice warm blanket of epic with a double shot of win, look no further than this book, right here with the pretty cover. I’m so eager for the next book, I have no idea how I’ll deal with the wait.

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great read. I've been looking forward to this one. Thanks for the great review. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love