02 June 2011

Title: Nightshade (Nightshade, #1)
Author: Andrea Cremer
Publisher: Philomel, 452 Pages (October 19th 2010)
From: the Publishers, Thank You!

Synopsis: Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything— including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?

Review: 3.5 Stars - Nightshade – book one in the series by author Andrea Cremer is full of originality. Her characters stand out and are strong among the story and the myth, her version of werewolves and pack life are wrapped within a magical world. With Nightshade, there is no doubt in my mind how this book, author and series are a hit among fans of the YA paranormal genre.

The main characters in Nightshade are Calla, Ren and Shay. Calla is a strong female lead that’s being torn at from two sides. The two sides being – One, the rules and how things within the pack are suppose to be. And two, the truth. In her world there are werewolves, guardians and searchers. I was a bit confused about the relationship between everyone and who was who and who did what until futher on into the book. However, I can say that the werewolves and guardians have a somewhat beneficial relationship. Calla’s search for answers and how she comes to terms with what she finds out will leave you wanting more. Her relationship with her friends, pack family and the two guys – Ren and Shay are the icing on the cake. And yes, it’s another one of those, ever present in YA titles, love triangle.

Now, let’s talk about Ren. Is he the bad guy he plays in the pages? Or is there a good guy somewhere in there? Getting to know Ren had me questioning and going back and forth and we do find out more about this as the book comes to an end. His part in the events that happen are far from over, it’s just a matter of time before we know exactly what’ll happen.

Then we have Shay, good’ol book lover Shay. He’s the guy in the story who falls fast and hard for the girl – Calla – who is off limits, so to speak. He’s a book guy, a cross between cute and geeky, which if you ask me are two ingredients on the road to making a pretty great guy.

The push and pull of the love triangle can sometimes be frustrating, cheering for this guy, or that guy. Cremer has written it so it’s not all consuming. There’s more to the story then will she pick this guy over the other.

I will admit that there were a few rough points to reading Nightshade. During the beginning I felt lost as to whom was who when it came to werewolves, guardians and searchers. As I mentioned above, I didn’t understand the difference to each and it wasn’t until I was further into the story that things became clearer. The rough bits became less and less the further along I read which made up for it all.

The story had its fair share of fast and thrilling events and those last few pages, wow! I’m so ready for Wolfsbane!

All in all Nightshade turned out to be a great original take on werewolves, with characters I was happy to have met and look forward to learning more about. Cremer has found a nice warm spot within fans of YA genre and if you are one who hasn’t checked out this book yet, and love a good tale about werewolves, be sure to give it a go!

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love