17 September 2010

Title: Review: Song of the Moon (Artemis Lupine, #1)
Author: Catherine Banks
Publisher: Self Published, 294 Pages (February 19th 2010)
Ordering info: Amazon

Synopsis: What if you found out that there was another world inside your own? What if all of the things you thought made you weird, actually made you powerful?

Artemis's life is changed forever when the mysterious man from her dreams, Ares, comes to claim her as his mate. The seventeen year old girl must find a way to adapt to her true life and accept her fate or run from it. She must overcome her fears and human ideals to give her self to the dangerous world, and man, that is her destiny.


Hi Catherine - Can you tell us about your journey in becoming self published? And did you always want to go that route?

No, I didn’t always want to be self-published, but in today’s publishing world it’s difficult to get published. So, I decided that since I don’t really care about royalties that self-publishing was the way for me. This way my books are out in the world for everyone to see now, instead of me waiting to find an agent and then a publisher.

How long did it take you to write Song of the Moon? And did you always know from the beginning it would be a series? And if so, how many books are you looking for this series to be?

I originally wrote Song of the Moon three years ago as one giant book. When I started thinking about self-publishing it, my husband suggested that I break the giant book up in to smaller books and just make it into a series. So, it took me two years to write the giant book, then a year to write Song of the Moon as its own separate novel. There will be at least three books and possibly a fourth for the Artemis Lupine series.

What was the hardest part in writing this book?

The hardest part was the editing. It was easy for me to write down Artemis’ story, but going back and editing and changing was definitely difficult.

Do you have a favorite line or two you’d like to share with everyone?

"A dance club? Why don’t you just stab me in the eye with this fork?" ~Artemis

"Humans were never the top of the food chain,” Ares answered angrily.

“What is?” I asked.”

“We are.” ~Artemis & Ares

Being that this series is about werewolves, could you tell us what makes yours unique?

There are a few differences in the werewolves in my stories from others that I’ve read. One difference is that there are three ways to become a werewolf in mine: 1. Bitten; 2. Born (only needing one werewolf parent to give you the gene); and 3. Cursed by a witch. Also, the wolves don’t have split personalities between them and their wolf. In wolf form they think much the same as they do in human form. The wolf form simply heightens natural instincts that the human form isn’t privy to all the time. The forms of my wolves really aren’t that original since I think it’s really hard to make original forms with the werewolf genre, but in my series they can be human, wolf (giant wolves, the top of their back at least 5 feet tall), or half-shift where they have half human parts and half wolf parts which allow them to walk on two feet. The wolves in my stories can also change a single part of their body, such as turning a hand into a paw with claws.

What can we expect in the next book? Can you give us any teasers?

Here is the back cover blurb:

Artemis' life completely changed when she learned of her true genetics and discovered Ares. Now, nothing is simple and life is anything, but calm. Artemis soon finds out that the only way to stop running from danger is to stand and fight, but at what cost?

What’s your favorite part of writing?

Letting the story flow. Once I have been writing for about five minutes I no longer hear or see anything beyond the story I’m writing down and playing across my eyes. It’s exhilarating to have complete control over someone’s life, even if they are fictional. LOL

Can you tell us 5 random things about yourself?

1) I am and have been a tomboy since birth;

2) I am an extremely picky eater;

3) I LOVE import cars (my favorite being the blue Subaru WRX STI), anime movies and video games (especially Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2);

4) I’ve been with the same man since I was a junior in high school;

5) My two favorite types of food to eat out are sushi and phở.

And lastly, are there any other future projects your working on or what would love to write about next?

I have quite a few projects I’m working on, but two which are consuming most of my time. One is an adult novel and the other is a young adult novel. Both are the first books in series and both involve werewolves.

Thanks so much for stopping by Catherine! I’m really looking forward to reading Kiss of a Star (Artemis Lupine, #2)

Additional information and websites to check out:

Catherine Banks Website

My Review: Song of the Moon


Be sure to check back tomorrow! There just might be a giveaway that has to do with Song of the Moon!

*I am not compensated at all for any of the links withing this page.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

5 comments:

  1. I follow you, I like your blog so much ^^

    Visit me!

    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... sounds interesting. I've always wondered about self publishing too. Great interview! Love the cover on the book too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm stopping by to let you know that you have been given a blog award. Come by and accept it at: http://abookgeek-llm.blogspot.com/2010/09/award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think breaking up the giant book was a smart move!=)

    On a personal note I find it cool that you've been with your husband for a long time. I have with mine since the ninth grade!!=)

    Thanks for the interview!!

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love