24 June 2011

Review: Moonglass By: Jessi Kirby

Title: Moonglass
Author: Jessi Kirby
Publisher: Simon & Schuster, 224 Pages (May 3rd 2011)
From: the Publisher, Thank You! (Amazon Vine)

Synopsis: From Jessi Kirby, a debut novel about confronting the past in order to move ahead.

I read once that water is a symbol for emotions. And for a while now, I've thought maybe my mother drowned in both.

Anna's life is upended when her father accepts a job transfer the summer before her junior year. It's bad enough that she has to leave her friends and her life behind, but her dad is moving them to the beach where her parents first met and fell in love- a place awash in memories that Anna would just as soon leave under the surface.

While life on the beach is pretty great, with ocean views and one adorable lifeguard in particular, there are also family secrets that were buried along the shore years ago. And the ebb and flow of the ocean's tide means that nothing- not the sea glass that she collects on the sand and not the truths behind Anna's mother's death- stays buried forever.

Review: 4 Stars - Jessi Kirby’s Moonglass is more than just sun, sand and sea. It’s about truth, healing and honesty. It’s about strength and love. Kirby fit many emotions into her book and did a wonderful job with her characters and what they were finally working to come to terms with.

When Anna is forced to move when her dad takes a new job, she has the typical teen reactions. She’s angry and hurt and wants to stay right where all her friends, her grandmother and her memories are. She’s one heck of a girl with some guts, let me tell you. She’s grown up with the beach on her doorstep, enjoying the sand as much as the ocean. Along with her guts and her strength she’s also grieving. Her grief runs deep, something she’s been contending with for years and being in the place where here parents met, being so close to where her mother spent her summers stirs up old emotions and old but ever present wounds soon begin to fester.

There’s heartbreak of many different kinds throughout Anna’s journey. Not just her past, but also the past of those around her, new and old and of the Cove she now calls home. Many of these things are part of Anna’s past, a past she needs to come to terms with, but doesn’t know how to face it. Sometimes things aren’t as they seem and other times – sadly - things have to get worse before they can get better.

The relationship she builds with Tyler came at a time that I think she needed it the most. It was a slow thing that happened at it’s own pace and didn’t feel rushed. Which is a great because more often than not these types of relationships can feel rushed in YA novels, and Kirby did a wonderful job in writing the two and their relationship at a realistic pace. Anna and Tyler have cute moments and some great lines back and forth. I did laugh at a few things Anna said, which also added to the story and helped to make her a more rounded character.

All in all, Kirby’s debut was not only well written, it was sweet and entertaining with realistic characters in a beautiful setting. It’s always thrilling to find a new contemporary young adult title and this one fit the bill perfectly! I have no doubt that many others will become a fan or Kirby and will be on the look out for new titles from her in the future, just as I will be. Enjoy!

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

2 comments:

  1. There are a few debut authors out there that gain my automatic respect... Kirby was one of them. I move very moved by this novel. Moonglass is one of those novels that will stay with me forever I am very pleased you enjoyed it!

    <3 Happy Reading!
    Patricia @ Patricia's Particularity

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great review - sounds fab I shall be adding it to my never ending list THANKS :D

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love