31 August 2013

Review: Two Roads By: L.M. Augustine

Title: Two Roads
Author: L.M. Augustine
Publisher: (August 26th, 2013)
From: the Author
Format: eARC
Add to: Goodreads
Order a copy: Amazon, Barnes and NobleAmazon UK

NOTE: This is a "New Adult" novel. Due to mature content this title is recommended for ages 17+
Synopsis: The only person poetry-loving Cali Monroe hates more than herself is Logan Waters, the geeky kid who lives in the dorm building next to hers.

Ever since Cali's parents told her she would amount to nothing, she has felt entirely inadequate. Friendless and alone, she takes on the mean girl role in hopes it will make her feel better--and Logan serves as the perfect target. He infuriates her with his obnoxiously long lashes, his all too perfect dimpled smile, and his complete lack of personality outside of his intelligence. It doesn't hurt that he's part of the reason her brother is dead, either. So Cali hates him, and he returns the favor. Thus, their prank-filled, insult-driven rivalry is born, and torturing Logan quickly becomes the highlight of her life.

But when Cali's parents set them up on a blind date, she begins to realize Logan might not be as boring as she always thought. He shares her love of poetry, takes a sadistic pleasure in making fun of crepes, and he makes her blush when he calls her smile pretty.

And hey, maybe those long lashes of his aren't that obnoxious after all…

Two Roads is New Adult Romance about finding love, standing out, and learning to embrace who you are. It contains some language and mild sexual content.

Review: 4.5 Stars - Author L.M. Augustine jumps in with both feet in the ever growing “New Adult” category with his latest title Two Roads.

It’s a fact and I’m sure at this point it’s becoming well known that I love a good “New Adult” title. So, when L.M. told me he was writing one, I couldn’t wait to read it and cheered him on along the way. His writing in Two Roads brings his characters to life as their story plays out on the page. You get a great feel for what Cali, who’s dealing with the death of her brother and Logan who is dealing with the death of his best friend are going through. The two have a past which both think of fondly yet there’s the death of someone they both loved that’s more in the front of their minds.

Ending up at the same college was not what Cali was expecting when Logan transfers in. The two are opposites, but only on face value. Cali tries her hardest to play the mean girl to keep from getting too close to anyone; she doesn’t want them to see the pain that’s just underneath the surface. Through her inner dialogue we learn who she really is, what makes her tick and why she’s struggling with her relationships with everyone around her including her parents.

Logan is a hot nerd. He loves math and he is surrounded by good friends. When Cali goes out of her way to target him in a bit of friendly and some not so friendly pranks, the heat gets cranked up a few notches. Cali is fueled by their rivalry and Logan is more than happy to play along.

One of the things I loved about this title was that with all the emotions that the two characters are dealing with, I often found myself laughing out loud. Props go out to any author who writes and makes me laugh and L.M. did just that over and over again. The snarky one liners to the full conversations often had me in a fit of giggles to full on cracking up!

While the story is about these two college students it’s also about their past and how their relationships with Cali’s brother have affected them. It’s this relationship with her brother that bonds them, change them, make them grow and to learn to live again.

Another part of the story that was interesting was the two characters and their love for poetry. It takes on a much larger part of the story than I had anticipated and I loved it!

From the first page to the last I was invested in the characters and the story. L.M. writes some very realistic characters that turned out to be fascinating and entertaining to read while at the same time I felt a bit of sadness for what they were both going through during their grieving. I also enjoyed watching the two and their relationship change with every encounter.

All in all, Two Roads was a must read and for good reason. I hope that others will find this book and embrace it just as I have. While this is L.M.’s second title I know it won’t be the last, making this reader a huge fan and easily making L.M. a go-to author to read and someone to watch out for into the future. I highly recommend this title to anyone who loves a great contemporary with strong characters and story. I loved it and I’m sure YOU will too, go out and grab a copy today! Enjoy!


Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

2 comments:

  1. Just so you know I'm holding you responsible for my wish list on goodreads getting bigger. You have some great books that sound like I would enjoy them, this one is no exception.

    Great review too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you will LOVE IT Michelle!!! Glad I can help to grow your wish list ;) <3 Oh and read this one soon!

      Delete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love