19 April 2013

Title: Broken at Love (Whitman University #1)
Author: Lyla Payne
Publisher: 338 Pages (March 12th, 2013)
From: the Author
Format: eBook
Add to: Goodreads


NOTE: This is a "New Adult" novel. Due to mature content this title is recommended for ages 17+

Synopsis: When a knee injury ends twenty-year-old Quinn Rowland’s pro tennis career, he’s not only dumped by his hot Russian girlfriend but ordered to attend college by his disinterested billionaire father. A rich kid who’s not used to being disappointed by life, Quinn and his sociopathic half-brother Sebastian create a frat house game intended to treat girls how they see them—as simple game pieces to be manipulated for their pleasure.

College sophomore Emilie Swanson knows Quinn’s reputation—after all, he did send one of her sorority sisters into therapy earlier in the semester—but the game and his charm bring them closer together and soon she starts to believe there’s more to Quinn than people think.

But what if the more is something darker than a game of toying with emotions and breaking hearts?

Quinn and Emilie might be falling for each other, but there are secrets he’s not ready to tell—and lifestyle changes he’s reluctant to make. She willingly stepped on the court, but if Emilie finds out she started out as nothing as a pawn in Quinn and Sebastian’s twisted game, she might never forgive him.

To his surprise, Quinn finds that he might finally care about someone more than he cares about himself…even if that means letting Emilie walk away for good.

Review: 4.5 Stars - Broken at Love by author Lyla Payne is the first in her amazing “New Adult” series. Set in Florida with the rich and the beautiful it’s told in alternating points of view, which allows the reader to fall deeper and deeper into the minds of two characters. One broken by the past and what he believes he deserves for his future. The other character being a girl who comes into his life by surprise turning it up-side-down. Payne takes her readers on an emotional ride from beginning to end in this fantastic contemporary title.

Quinn’s wounds are deep and dark and he’s grown up knowing nothing but these wounds his whole life. Finding his way through tennis he quickly became a star as he made his way throughout the tennis world. An accident takes the life that he loves and knows out from under him and sends him off to college.

He’s far from happy at his situation. While reading I often wondered if he had ever been happy during any point he wasn't on a tennis court. His family is the root of pretty much all of his issues and his attitude doesn't help matters. His step brother was creepy and for lack of a better word an ASS. I couldn't stand Sebastian and was hoping from the first time that we met him that someone, anyone.. and I hoped it would be Quinn would take him down a notch.

Sebastian thinks he knows what Quinn needs to make him feel better. They set up a game and Quinn doesn't mind playing. It’s horrible. I cringed and couldn't believe what went on with these guys and just how deep rooted their troubles were to have them go down this road.

The road is where we meet Emilie. She’s the newest pawn to be played in their evil game. The thing is, neither guys knows what’s about to hit them. I loved Emilie. She’s smart, knows what she wants and is creative. She’s a painter and even goes against her family’s wishes to continue on with a career she wants more than anything. What I loved even more is that she could see past Quinn’s good looks and money and wasn't about to be played. Right there I knew I’d love this female lead and she proved over and over again that I was right with my instincts with her.

With the brothers “game” at stake Quinn is forced to step up his game to win, even when he starts to question what he thinks. And this is exactly why I love alternating points of view. Being able to learn who Quinn was, what was his drive and why he did and said the things he did was critical to this story.

All in all this is one of those titles that I knew I’d love and Payne didn't let me down. Her story was wonderfully written and her characters were emotional and in turn I couldn't help but feel emotional for them. I wish that the story was longer, however isn't that the problem most of the time when you’re reading a book that you enjoy? You feel that the ending comes along all too soon and you aren't ready to let go? That’s how I felt at the end of Broken at Love. I wanted to continue that peek I was given into Emilie and Quinn’s lives. Which brings me to the next book in the Whitman University series and that I can’t wait to read it and see who’s story we’re told about next. (While I am NOT a fan of Sebastian I have to wonder if there is anyone who could put his evil butt in line.) Who knows! Payne, I’m a fan, can’t wait for more and if you are looking for a great contemporary title and or want to take a dive into the “New Adult” category Broken at Love would be perfect for you!

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

3 comments:

  1. The game was horrible, wasn't it? It made me sick to my stomach.

    I loved Emilie too. I loved how she never gave up on Quinn, and how she saw him for who he truly was.

    Great review! :)

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of this one before but I can promise you I'm looking forward to reading it now!! Great review(:
    Happy reading
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of this one before but I can promise you I'm looking forward to reading it now!! Great review(:
    Happy reading
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love