11 October 2012


Scariest movies? WAY TOO MANY. My own fault for watching The Exorcist when I was five! And rather than being smart and stopping there, I went on to watch The Omen, Poltergeist, The Amityville Horror, and The Changeling. Then as I got older it was the Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, and Friday the 13th series. Blair Witch, The Last Descent, The Ring, and The Grudge were the last ones I’ve been able to watch; not just because I seem to have less and less time these days, but because I think I finally realized I don’t necessarily like watching entire movies with my hands over my eyes! Though I still have Paranormal Activity just sitting on my Boxee, waiting for me, calling to me... 

And scariest books? For the most part, I’m much better at handling horror in book form. I just really admire when an author can terrify me by painting pure atmosphere and mood with words. Stephen King is my favourite author for this, especially with The Shining, It, tons of his short stories—The Monkey, Gramma, The Mist, Children of the Corn, Graveyard Shift, and The Mangler stick out as especially creepy. But one of his novels did scare me so badly I had to take it off the shelf and give it away (the sight of the spine alone gave me chills), and that would be ‘Salem’s Lot. Old-fashioned vampires, complete with crosses and stakes in the heart. Such a fantastic gore-fest of a book, but I don’t think I could ever read it again!



Title: Dualed (Dualed, #1)
Author: Elsie Chapman
Publisher: Random House, 304 Pages (February 26th, 2012)
Add to: Goodreads

Synopsis: Two of you exist. Only one will survive.

The city of Kersh is a safe haven, but the price of safety is high. Everyone has a genetic Alternate—a twin raised by another family—and citizens must prove their worth by eliminating their Alts before their twentieth birthday. Survival means advanced schooling, a good job, marriage—life.

Fifteen-year-old West Grayer has trained as a fighter, preparing for the day when her assignment arrives and she will have one month to hunt down and kill her Alt. But then a tragic misstep shakes West’s confidence. Stricken with grief and guilt, she’s no longer certain that she’s the best version of herself, the version worthy of a future. If she is to have any chance of winning, she must stop running not only from her Alt, but also from love . . . though both have the power to destroy her.

Elsie Chapman's suspenseful YA debut weaves unexpected romance into a novel full of fast-paced action and thought-provoking philosophy. When the story ends, discussions will begin about this future society where every adult is a murderer and every child knows there is another out there who just might be better.

Author Bio:

ELSIE CHAPMAN grew up in Prince George, British Columbia, Canada, before graduating from the University of British Columbia with a BA in English literature. She lives in Vancouver with her husband and two children, where she writes to either movies on a loop or music turned up way too loud (and sometimes both at the same time). Dualed is her first novel.

Find Elsie Online:

Website/Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Order Dualed Online:

Amazon | Barnes and Noble | The Book Depository | IndieBound

Everyone keep an eye out! Elsie has donated some swag that'll be included in swag bag's and other giveaways during the month! Trust me, they are amazing DUALED bookmarks! Signed too!

Elsie, thanks you SO much for writing up this fantastic post! I'm a big chicken when it comes to scary movies, but I'm a glutton for punishment too and still watch. Usually while hiding my eyes in my hands. And Thanks for donation the AWESOME bookmarks!

Don't forget to stop by and check out who Jessica is featuring today for Haunted Halloween!

REMINDER: *If you are interested in the COMMENT CONTEST, remember to include your email address with your comment for an extra entry.
Please ready full entry rules >>>HERE<<<

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

10 comments:

  1. DUALED! Yay!!! I really wanna read this book!!! I love that you're featuring a book that hasn't been released yet. And Elsie is fantastic!!! She and the Thirteeners are super sweet. Thanks for the post!!!

    lilleetleet(at)verizon(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the Devouring series by Simon Holt. Scary movies don't really work on me lol.

    Vivien
    deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, Dualed really sounds good! <3
    I love these sci-fi-ish YA stories lately, and
    am putting this one on my list! :)
    Mary DeBorde M.A.D.
    zenrei57 (at) hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the fabulous post! Congrats to Elsie on the new release! It sounds awesome!

    efender1(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I have been seeing this a lot lately! Sounds awesome!

    jessica(DOT)agreatread(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the first I have heard of Dualed. It sounds fantastic!

    The closest thing to horror book/movies I get is the TV show The Walking Dead.

    mmafsmith AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am DYING to read this book! It sounds really interesting and I know I'm going to love it.

    stephward84(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, at least you watched The Exorcist. For me, who likes watching every 80s scary movies, I can't. I have tried but I always chicken out before I get the chance to hit play on my remote. I even bought the book thinking it would be better than watching the movie but just the cover alone gave me the creeps so I ended up giving it to a bookstore =\

    Thanks for the post! Dualed sounds really good. I can't wait to read it =)

    Poison_Mimosa(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a scary movie fan! I'm a total chicken!

    lexiboo202(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you listed The Changeling. So many people don't know about it. It still scares the heck out of me, even after seeing it several times.
    videoclimber(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love